Has anyone seen "Living with the wolfman" on Animal Planet?

Simon&Sophia

I've not heard of this ... what does the bloke do??

he works at like, an animal park in Devon. He's the wolf expert, and learns by living as "one of the pack".

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=living+with+the+wolfman+&oq=living+with+the+wolfman+&aq=f&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=5842l5842l0l6081l1l1l0l0l0l0l82l82l1l1l0

Is it that soap thingy or the actual documentary? If it's the soap please take everything with a grain of salt. Shaun admitted in one of his book (which I read) that Animal Planet "pushed" him and his (now ex) wife to create some extra drama. In the end that's what separated them.

The actual documentary is much MUCH more interesting if you're actually interested in Shaun Ellis and the wolves, the soap is just for the entertainment. What he does is amazing, his history with living in a (wild!) wolf pack is what most likely actually started a whole dog 'revolution' of understanding that dogs aren't just simple minded animals and that they share much more similarities than wolves than previously thought, and that with the right methods can be trained. I've learned a lot from him and sort of missed a great opportunity to meet him face to face :(

I've read one of his book in less than a day, best book I've ever read.

I've seen the documentary 'the Wolfman' - very cool. Especially how the dynamic changed and he went from alpha to omega after leaving for only a few weeks on account of not being able to physically 'out-wolf' the now adult-sized pups. I wonder how long he could have stayed alpha without contest is he hadn't left?

I think the interesting question about the situation is what was he able to accomplish by doing this? At the end of the day, did he really succeed in raising these wolves "as" wolves? Would they be able to successfully integrate with another pack, even in another zoo? The wolves are still acclimatized to humans, still don't hunt on their own and will still likely never be released into the wild. I haven't read his book, but it would probably be an interesting read if it really delves into the nuance of wolf communication, and what the differences truly are between wolves and dogs for inter-species communication.

I'd actually like to see him perform the same study with a litter of dogs and see what the result would be!

What interested me the most about the documentary was his research in using territorial howls to keep wolves off of people's land to protect livestock. I think that is something that deserves some serious looking into for viable application on ranchland in areas with healthy wolf populations.

Is it that soap thingy or the actual documentary? If it's the soap please take everything with a grain of salt. Shaun admitted in one of his book (which I read) that Animal Planet "pushed" him and his (now ex) wife to create some extra drama. In the end that's what separated them.

The actual documentary is much MUCH more interesting if you're actually interested in Shaun Ellis and the wolves, the soap is just for the entertainment. .

Oh yeah, i did expect that the program may have been exaggerated, with it being a "series" with more than the one episode. Just like Miami Ink, or L.A Ink (the tattoo programs). I didnt know that he'd done a documentary though! .......guess what im trawling the internet for now :P

Oh yeah, i did expect that the program may have been exaggerated, with it being a "series" with more than the one episode. Just like Miami Ink, or L.A Ink (the tattoo programs). I didnt know that he'd done a documentary though! .......guess what im trawling the internet for now :P

Documentary is a much watch if you are curious about what Shann Ellis does. And if you love reading I'd say his books are a much read as well :D I read The Man Who Lives with Wolves where he talks about all his experiences with the wolves in the wild and in the park and lots of background information. I'm pretty sure if you give this book who is not interested in wolves, he will be after he's done reading it :D

Documentary is a much watch if you are curious about what Shann Ellis does. And if you love reading I'd say his books are a much read as well :D I read The Man Who Lives with Wolves where he talks about all his experiences with the wolves in the wild and in the park and lots of background information. I'm pretty sure if you give this book who is not interested in wolves, he will be after he's done reading it :D

Thanks Jos! Im gonna look for the book too :D