Shura being nawty and not listening

[ame]

[/ame]

This a video that i took of me trying to get shura back into the house. She doesnt even notice when you call her. I'm really stuck on this and i dont know what to do, the truth is i havent train a dog since my last 1 and i have forgot it all. Any advice or vids will be of great help xxx:o

Ok, watching that video all I could think was that Shura looked like she was having a great time and if I was her, I wouldn't want to come to you either - you have to be more exciting!!

What have you done to teach her a recall command? Does she actually know what 'come' means? Getting a solid recall is about training the dog to see you as the most exciting thing there is, so that they want to bound over to you when you call them.

Watching that video, think about why Shura would want to come when you call her. Your voice is pretty unexciting, she's having a ball running around, why would she want to stop doing something fun and exciting to come over to you? Think of it on a scale of one to ten, you want Shura's value of you to be around a 9 or a 10.

The first thing I would do is change the tone in your voice. Don't be afraid to sound like an idiot, the recall command is one I always put a lot of excitement into because you want the dog to be excited about coming when you call. In the video you sound like a 1 or 2 on the scale of excitement - come on, try harder, amp it up to a 10!! Also - start small, get back to basics. Teach her the come command and make sure she understands what it is - do it inside the house if you have to, to start with. Use extra high value treats like boiled or roast chicken, steak, sausage, cheese etc. If she's not food motivated, get her favourite toy and wave it around and make training into a game.

I find throwing food and getting the dog to catch it is also a way to make training fun, it speeds the game up and gets the dog focusing on you and working for the food. If she's more food motivated, play some tug with her as a reward. Make yourself exciting in everything you do, your voice, your actions, your body language and whatever reward you use. When you say that she doesn't respond to food - do you stand there, show her the food and call her to come with the same quiet, boring tone? She may not be food driven, or she may be but you just need to do some work to harness it and get her excited about responding to your commands.

Watching that video it looks like she enjoys running around - what if you get in there and play with her, get her excited and RUN and encourage her to chase you, when she does say "COMEEEEE!" in an excited voice and give her lots of praise for following you.

If you like, I will make up a video when I next have a spare second and show you what I do when I work on Micha's recall. Yes, I sound like an idiot, but the point is I make it a game and I make it FUN! I get Micha excited so he doesn't want to seek excitement and fun from another source.

There are tons of games you can play, to increase her drive and excitement when it comes to training, you just need to change your approach :)

Here is one example of a fun drive building game - not my style but it works for lots of people. It's called the two food game or the two toy game depending on what motivates your dog the most.

The idea is that you throw food in one direction, let the dog run after it, get them to run back to you and as they are doing so, throw the food/toy in the opposite direction. It gets them excited and will increase not only their drive but the value they have for you and training;

[ame]

[/ame]

No worries :) The other thing I meant to add too was that I only say come once. I say the dogs name once to get their attention, pause and then say COMMEEEEEE!!! in a high pitched exciteable voice. As I start to say come, I throw my arms up in the arm as an extra signal to the dog. Don't repeat the command if she's intent on ignoring you. She will become desensitized to it and will learn that it's a command she can chose to ignore.

ETA: I should admit - I only give the command once with the exception of known commands. If Mish for whatever reason ignores a known and proofed command, that is one I KNOW he responds to 99% of the time, I go "OI" or "AH" and then say the command i.e. come in a less excitable and more assertive voice. I don't have to do it often but I do it when I know he's blowing me off and when I know that a simple voice correction will make him think twice about ignoring me!

Other commands like sit/down/stand I don't use as an excitable voice for as the recall command, I use more of a firm and clear voice. The recall command is the only command I use an overly excited tone for - I make all training exciting, I use an excited voice to get the dogs excited, but then generally give commands in firmer more assertive voice. Our tone, body language and voice can all make a big difference when it comes to training.

I tryed the two food game and it seemed to work so i tryed it in the garden i played around then i tryed the two food game it seemed to work for a bit but when it ame to going in she ingnored me point blank and even when i tryed it again she just carried on and when i got her fav toy i mean she goes crazy for her cat or rat lol but even then she looked at me as if to say i dont care i like it out here. So i made it into a game then tryed again but still didnt work. xxx Might try again after xx

Cas, it's not something that will happen overnight but it's GREAT that she enjoyed the game when you first played it. Building her value of you is something that will come gradually. How often do you train or play with her each day? Always remember to leave training on a high note, don't let her end the game by losing interest, end the game when she is still excited and keen to keep playing, as this will build frustration and make her more excited the next time you come out to play/train with her. You could also try, when you end the game and she's still keen to keep playing, totally ignoring her and running inside. She might want to chase/follow you and you could encourage her to run inside with you.

Remember too that Siberians are really active dogs and they love running around and exerting energy - do you think she might want some more time in the yard to run around for more exercise? The other thing I would do is make going inside fun too so it's something she wants to do - get her favourite toy and when she comes inside, play a game of tug with her or something that she finds exciting so she sees the value in coming inside.

I also signify each game/training sessions by saying 'are you ready to work?' - my dogs get excited just hearing me say the words now as they know what's coming next :D

I tryed the two food game and it seemed to work so i tryed it in the garden i played around then i tryed the two food game it seemed to work for a bit but when it ame to going in she ingnored me point blank and even when i tryed it again she just carried on and when i got her fav toy i mean she goes crazy for her cat or rat lol but even then she looked at me as if to say i dont care i like it out here. So i made it into a game then tryed again but still didnt work. xxx Might try again after xx

I meant to add to my last post - the two food game is just that, a game, something that is used to increase her food/prey drive and her value of you. I would still consider doing the other things I recommended when it comes to training, I would be working on the come command to make sure she knows exactly what it means. The game won't do much on it's own if you don't also do lots of training too. Play games with her as part of training, like the two food game, to get her to see you as something fun and exciting.

What does she like about her toy? Does she like playing tug? Practice getting her to recall to you when you aren't just going to put her inside, otherwise she will never see the point in coming when you call her. Stand in the yard and get her to come to you and give her a treat, then let her run off again. Call her and reward her by playing tug with her - fun things like that where coming when you call her does not always end in going inside.

:disclaimer i have no idea what im talking about:

aighty so to be honest i think duke came pretrained because he behaves pretty well. tho there have been quite a few times that hes ignored me when i told em to do something. a few weeks back i was trying to get him to come into the house thru the garage but he wanted to come in thru the back (so he could go into the living room instead of the bedroom) after a few min of trying i said aight screw it and walked over and picked him up and carried him inside lol. after i brought em in i opend the door and let em go into the livingroom like he originally wanted all i wanted was for him to understand that if i tell em to do something that he has to do it.

also when im walking duke (hes gotta retractable leash) ill tell him to come and give a tug on his leash... then i stand there till he comes to me i give em a pet tell em hes a good boy and we walk some more...

what im getting at is maybe you can teach her that if she listens to you she can go back outside and play but if she doesnt listen then she stays inside... id try letting her out for 15 min or so (when you got time to play with her for awhile) and grab her when shes not expecting it tell her to come inside and pick her up if you gotta but take her inside and tell her shes a good girl. then let her back outside. repeat it every so often while shes out playing. after awhile if she starts coming in her own great ;) let her back out but if she doesnt and she makes u catch her bring her inside and dont let her back out for an hour or so... i could be wrong but i think this would help alot

again i really dunno anything about training dogs and this could all be from previous training he had (got em from the pound... he was a stray) but everything ive read says that you need to show dominance with huskies and i think this would be a good way to do so because they are very smart and put 2 and 2 together pretty quick from what ive seen

the way i see it reward her with what she wants... and thats to play outside =)

heya guys just a quick update Shura recall in the house is getting better but i havent had time to practise outside latley as its been to hot for her and we've been quick busy with drain probs. So tomorow when the cars gone am gna try and spend a few hours with her (been quite hecktic latley) and play outside will give anouther update soon thanks for all the advice added to rep xx

Ok, watching that video all I could think was that Shura looked like she was having a great time and if I was her, I wouldn't want to come to you either - you have to be more exciting!!

What have you done to teach her a recall command? Does she actually know what 'come' means? Getting a solid recall is about training the dog to see you as the most exciting thing there is, so that they want to bound over to you when you call them.

Watching that video, think about why Shura would want to come when you call her. Your voice is pretty unexciting, she's having a ball running around, why would she want to stop doing something fun and exciting to come over to you? Think of it on a scale of one to ten, you want Shura's value of you to be around a 9 or a 10.

The first thing I would do is change the tone in your voice. Don't be afraid to sound like an idiot, the recall command is one I always put a lot of excitement into because you want the dog to be excited about coming when you call. In the video you sound like a 1 or 2 on the scale of excitement - come on, try harder, amp it up to a 10!! Also - start small, get back to basics. Teach her the come command and make sure she understands what it is - do it inside the house if you have to, to start with. Use extra high value treats like boiled or roast chicken, steak, sausage, cheese etc. If she's not food motivated, get her favourite toy and wave it around and make training into a game.

I find throwing food and getting the dog to catch it is also a way to make training fun, it speeds the game up and gets the dog focusing on you and working for the food. If she's more food motivated, play some tug with her as a reward. Make yourself exciting in everything you do, your voice, your actions, your body language and whatever reward you use. When you say that she doesn't respond to food - do you stand there, show her the food and call her to come with the same quiet, boring tone? She may not be food driven, or she may be but you just need to do some work to harness it and get her excited about responding to your commands.

Watching that video it looks like she enjoys running around - what if you get in there and play with her, get her excited and RUN and encourage her to chase you, when she does say "COMEEEEE!" in an excited voice and give her lots of praise for following you.

If you like, I will make up a video when I next have a spare second and show you what I do when I work on Micha's recall. Yes, I sound like an idiot, but the point is I make it a game and I make it FUN! I get Micha excited so he doesn't want to seek excitement and fun from another source.

There are tons of games you can play, to increase her drive and excitement when it comes to training, you just need to change your approach :)

GREAT ADVICE!!

Mary & Grrey x x x x