Wellness check up

I had Micha and Daisy's yearly check up this afternoon, I was quite excited about it as I got a very reputable holistic vet to come and visit us at our house to do the consult.

She spent more than an hour here with the dogs examining them and talking to me about any concerns I had, as well as talking about the raw diet I feed and our options when it comes to vaccinating. She examined the diet I feed and gave me some feedback (all positive, she gave me some ideas about what I could do to get the dogs to eat more offal as they aren't keen on it etc).

As I suspected Micha has early arthritis in his back end :icon9: He's only seven years old so it's not too severe, but the only thing we can do is manage it as it will get worse as he ages. The vet and I both suspect it was environmental, all these years running and slipping on the polished floor boards has taken their toll. We talked about the things we can incorporate into his diet and exercise regime to help, such as glucosomine powder and regular swimming in warm water.

Otherwise she was really happy with his overall health, he's a fit healthy dog, his weight and condition is excellent, his teeth are great. Daisy is also in perfect health, except for her ear infections - although they have improved hugely since being on the raw diet, they are still a bit red and yeasty, which she said can be a digestive problem. I'm going to give her collodial silver drops in her ears once a week as well as putting a few drops in her water.

We also talked about the best course to take in regards to vaccination. Here in Australia, boarding kennels by law only accept dogs that are "up to date" with their vaccinations - they must have a current C5 vacc, currently meanly yearly. I do run into the occasion where I need to board the dogs every year or two. So titre tests, although my first option, will not be accepted by boarding kennels. Instead, there is now a vaccination available that is exactly the same as the yearly vaccination except that the label says it's valid for three years. Despite what some vets tell you, it is EXACTLY the same as the yearly vaccination, it is not three times stronger, or contains three times the ingredients, nor should it cost anymore than the yearly vaccination. The boarding kennels will accept this as long as I get the dogs a yearly kennel cough nose spray - I'll do the nose spray when I know they are booked in to go to a kennel, as I prefer not to vaccinate for KC at all if given the choice.

I know that in the US, three yearly vaccination has become pretty much widely accepted and the three yearly vacc is easier to find than it is here (my vet regularly gives talks and consults in the US). I'm not sure how available it is in the UK, but you guys might want to ask your vet about it and see if it is an option for you.

I am going to get the vet to come back in couple of months to check on how Micha is going on the supplements and how Daisy's ear infection is going, and to give them the three yearly vaccination - I don't want to do it yet as Mish isn't due for another couple of months and I don't want to vaccinate him twice in the same year. She's also going to check how Cherry is progressing on the elimination diet I've got her on.

Overall I'm so pleased with how the check up went, I've never had a vet who has given such extensive and thorough check ups, with so much knowledge on raw feeding, immunisation and the overall health of the dog. I'm really glad I contacted her now when Micha is starting to show signs of early arthritis so we can give him the best chance he has to manage it as he gets older. It was so refreshing to find a vet who is supportive of things like raw feeding and titre testing :)

Fantastic post Becky, added to rep :)

Your vet sounds great, sorry to hear about Micha at least you've caught it early and give him the best :)

I'm going to speak to my vet next month when I take Kimba for his vaccine, and ask about the 3 yearly one i don't know how available they are in the UK?

Thanks Sarah :) I feel upset for Mishy but I've suspected it, with it being winter here now I've been seeing signs of discomfort and stiffness so I'm just glad to have diagnosed.

Unfortunately I have no idea what is available in terms of vaccinations in the UK. Although if it's available here and in the US, I would assume you have something similar. I did have to hunt around for it here, because I knew it was available but it's not as accepted as it is in the US. Some vets will had no idea about it, some said it was heaps more expensive (it's the same price) some said it was stronger (the only difference is the label). So yeah - it can be tricky to find, depending on what's available in your country.

Sorry to hear about Micha but on a good note at least you have caught it early when there is more you can do for him to help rather than when it has got worse and he can bearly walk! My 3 send loads of husky hugs to Micha.

Im quite sure my sisters old dog, Rudy (bull mastiff cross staff), had Glucosomine for his arthritis and it helped him loads! Also, may be an idea to speak to your vet and see if there are any hyrotherapy pools where you are for dogs as these have been known to help with arthritis too, but I would have thought your waters are much warmer than here in the UK which is why your vet probably didnt mention it :)http://www.duntarvierotties.co.uk/hydro_pool.htm

The 3 year vaccine sounds brilliant. My 3 all had their puppy vaccines last year but not thier boosters this year and they have been fine. I havent ever put any of my dogs into boarding kennels as Ive heard and seen too many bad experiences with them it puts me off and I always worry that I'll go away and then find out that have bitten someone, they probably wouldnt but it still worries me! Last year jamies mum and dad, who live with us, didnt want to come to florida so they said they was more than happy to look after out 3 (and they got spoilt rotten in them 3 weeks!) but next week when me, jamie, his mum and dad all go away Jamies sister is coming to look after everything for that week and said as long as we write down what to feed them on each day (she hasnt fed BARF before) then she is happy to look after them :) Luckily we always have someone able to look after out dogs at home rather than dog kennels and if we dont then we dont go away!

Is the wellness check up you have something you must do to own a dog in Oz or is it optional?

Sorry to hear about Micha but on a good note at least you have caught it early when there is more you can do for him to help rather than when it has got worse and he can bearly walk! My 3 send loads of husky hugs to Micha.

Thanks Amy :) I totally agree, I would rather know now that it is developing than find out once it's gotten really bad.

Im quite sure my sisters old dog, Rudy (bull mastiff cross staff), had Glucosomine for his arthritis and it helped him loads! Also, may be an idea to speak to your vet and see if there are any hyrotherapy pools where you are for dogs as these have been known to help with arthritis too, but I would have thought your waters are much warmer than here in the UK which is why your vet probably didnt mention it :)http://www.duntarvierotties.co.uk/hydro_pool.htm

Thanks for the tip, she did actually mention therapy pools to me and we have a couple in the area - our water doesn't get toooooo cold in winter, but the therapy pools are probably more ideal for Micha's situation. Unfortunately we don't have any close by, but the ones I know about are all under an hour away so I will look into them.

The 3 year vaccine sounds brilliant. My 3 all had their puppy vaccines last year but not thier boosters this year and they have been fine. I havent ever put any of my dogs into boarding kennels as Ive heard and seen too many bad experiences with them it puts me off and I always worry that I'll go away and then find out that have bitten someone, they probably wouldnt but it still worries me! Last year jamies mum and dad, who live with us, didnt want to come to florida so they said they was more than happy to look after out 3 (and they got spoilt rotten in them 3 weeks!) but next week when me, jamie, his mum and dad all go away Jamies sister is coming to look after everything for that week and said as long as we write down what to feed them on each day (she hasnt fed BARF before) then she is happy to look after them :) Luckily we always have someone able to look after out dogs at home rather than dog kennels and if we dont then we dont go away!

It's really hard to decide what to do isn't it? Luckily we have some very reputable boarding kennels here, but I still worry about them if we have to board them which is always the last resort. I just don't trust house sitters not to let them out and to take care of them properly :o

If I have to board them I buy them a small packet of Artemis Grain Free dried food and give it to the kennel, as that's the next best option for me if I can't feed raw.

Is the wellness check up you have something you must do to own a dog in Oz or is it optional?

It's just the name that holistic vets and vets who don't advocate yearly vaccination often give yearly check ups. One concern more old fashioned vets have when it comes to not vaccinating yearly is that if you tell a client they don't have to vacc their dog each year, they won't come in for check ups (bit of silly logic really) - so holistic vets have 'wellness' check ups where they do a thorough examination of the dog, talk to you about diet/nutrition, do any relevant blood tests (thyroid, titres etc) that might be required. More cynical people think part of the reluctance to accept the latest research about over vaccination is because vets don't want to lose out on the money they get from yearly vaccs.

I went to a seminar last year with Dr Jean Dodds (a very well known vet and vaccine research scientist) and she talked about how vets need to change how they market yearly check ups, so they aren't about the vaccination, but about doing a 'wellness check up' instead. It is up to vets, if they are concerned about people not bringing their dogs in yearly, to ensure people recognise the importance of having a 'wellness' check up.

Thanks for the tip, she did actually mention therapy pools to me and we have a couple in the area - our water doesn't get toooooo cold in winter, but the therapy pools are probably more ideal for Micha's situation. Unfortunately we don't have any close by, but the ones I know about are all under an hour away so I will look into them.

They certainly seem to be good here in the UK, a decent one can be expensive though but seem to do the world of good :) Can be fun too if you can go in the pool too as you could make it into a game for Micha :)

It's really hard to decide what to do isn't it? Luckily we have some very reputable boarding kennels here, but I still worry about them if we have to board them which is always the last resort. I just don't trust house sitters not to let them out and to take care of them properly :o

If I have to board them I buy them a small packet of Artemis Grain Free dried food and give it to the kennel, as that's the next best option for me if I can't feed raw.

Certainly is difficult especially when you have got really excited about going away to somewhere nice and had the plans sorted for the dogs and then at the last minute they cancel! I always tell jamie is no one we know can look after our 3 then I would rather loose the holiday than the dogs, holidays can be replaced but dogs can't.

Ive never tried one of the so called "qualified" house sitters as I would panic that they would steal something or not look after my boys properly! I only like people I know that can look after and handle my 3 to come and stay at our house if we go away. This hols we going on soon is the first that we have had to get someone else (Shereie - Jamies Sis) to come and stay at the house though and I know she will be fine as she has come on many walks and stayed over our house before and gets alot of respect from our 3 :) Gotta write out their meal list so she know what to feed each day.

We are quite lucky on the Kennel front as our trainer takes in dogs for holidays and we know they are very well looked after. They stay in the house with her, get regular exercise and pretty much become part of an extended family for them for however long they are there. Not so often ya can get that so quite happy about it :)

We are quite lucky on the Kennel front as our trainer takes in dogs for holidays and we know they are very well looked after. They stay in the house with her, get regular exercise and pretty much become part of an extended family for them for however long they are there. Not so often ya can get that so quite happy about it :)

Very lucky! I wish I had something similar.