Gimp 2.7 Beta

TreyRust

I know a lot of you use Gimp (at least two a' yews!) so I thought you might find this info intriguing

lT1qA.png

It's not a stable release, but it's really cool.

I'm really excited about the layer grouping!

For windows, just go here and grab the EXE: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ (It will recognized you are on windows, and give you the correct download)

For Ubuntu (and Ubuntu based distros such as LinuxMint), you can add the (unofficial) gimp PPA by running this in the terminal "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:matthaeus123/mrw-gimp-svn

" Then "sudo apt-get update"

For RPM based distros, you're on you're own...

The features I noticed:

1. All in one window feature, not there by default, go to Windows >> Single-Window Mode

2. Layer grouping!!

You can find the full release notes here: http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.7.html

Have fun!

Trey.

Lets see some of you Gimpers getting to grips and show us what can be done with it :)

Trey, you beat me to it. I was about to post it as well! It looks great so far, though it's an development release so it's not recommend for everyday use *yet*. They also have an interesting way of telling you it's not a normal release. I do hope I'm not the only one who noticed the odd splash screen (that appears for only 2 seconds though) :rolleyes:

Trey, you beat me to it. I was about to post it as well! It looks great so far, though it's an development release so it's not recommend for everyday use *yet*. They also have an interesting way of telling you it's not a normal release. I do hope I'm not the only one who noticed the odd splash screen (that appears for only 2 seconds though) :rolleyes:

Oh, that's why the spalsh screen is so.... different? Yeah, I wasn't paying ANY attention :P

I saw the post on OMG ubuntu when the post was fresh so :D

Oh, that's why the spalsh screen is so.... different? Yeah, I wasn't paying ANY attention :P

I saw the post on OMG ubuntu when the post was fresh so :D

Yep. Read that an OMG as well. Some of my friends where put of because of the splash. Though it's just a development release for testing purpose, not a final release. I think I started a small OSS flameware over at omgubuntu :whistling:I can see the humour of it though.

I did very quickly created my own splash in 5 minutes though, just so I don't have to stare it everytime. Feel free to use it if you want :)

post-2982-13586086221691_thumb.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/230488/splash.png

Put it into ~/gimp-2.7/splashes/ (creating the folders yourself, if needed). Not sure where Windows stores application folders these days.

post-2355-13585984677582_thumb.png

Yep. Read that an OMG as well. Some of my friends where put of because of the splash. Though it's just a development release for testing purpose, not a final release. I think I started a small OSS flameware over at omgubuntu :whistling:I can see the humour of it though.

I did very quickly created my own splash in 5 minutes though, just so I don't have to stare it everytime. Feel free to use it if you want :)

[ATTACH=full]19157[/ATTACH]

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/230488/splash.png

Put it into ~/gimp-2.7/splashes/ (creating the folders yourself, if needed). Not sure where Windows stores application folders these days.

That's like a... a minecraft husky splash!!

And yes, it's always fun to start a flamewar, stand back and laugh :rolleyes:

Do you have a link for windows to the beta ... your link take me to 2.6.11 (I think)

You're going to have to dig a bit since it's the beta, look for 2.7. I would imagine it would just be lower down.

If you still have trouble, I boot into windows and see what I can do.

All I can find is source which I can't compile without a lot of work. (Downloading compilers, etc) No big deal, I'll wait til they bring out 2.8 which is what they're touting as the next big release.

Pssh, real men have cygwin on their desktops ready for anything... (says the guy who would rather spend hours looking for a binary, rather than minutes compiling). I'll see if I can't find you a file later...

As far as functionality goes.... I made this with it: NWa2c.gif

Didn't "make" it as much as modded it, which was waaay to simple to gloat about... I did notice however, that you can no longer save anything but a .xcf in the normal save option, you have to use export for other formats.

Yep. And I'm liking that new feature! Finally my projects won't get disassociated with the project file (xcf) whenever I save/export it as an jpeg or png!

Very good point, that was really confusing...

@Al Jones I can't find anything but source either... Maybe someone will produce a binary soon, it's a really new release, so obviously linux is the first to get it easily

Very good point, that was really confusing...

@Al Jones I can't find anything but source either... Maybe someone will produce a binary soon, it's a really new release, so obviously linux is the first to get it easily

It's a development release, I don't think they'll come pre-compiled (apart from the guy who manages the ppa for Ubuntu of course).

Here are all the Windows files located: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-win/files/GIMP%20%2B%20GTK%2B%20%28development%20rel.%29/

It seems that 1.7.1 is the most recent for now. And looking at the date, that's from quite some time ago...

I think I just got the funniest error message I've seen in while :D

post-6798-13586086360303_thumb.jpg

For some reason the interface is half Dutch, half English and I can't seem to change it to English only. What is basically says is: "Saving of the file <filename> failed" and the reason was "successful". The file was infact saved but GIMP refused to believe me :facepalm:

post-2355-13585984940428_thumb.jpg

But at least, being from the Netherlands, you understood it! I'd have been going "Huh?" Working with early releases of a program can be sooooooo interesting!

GIMP isn't Dutch by origin. It just follows my OS default configuration (so one with a English locale installed on their computer won't have this problem). Although GIMP has an option to override these settings, it did not seem to like it yet. I think most of the interface has not been completely translated to Dutch any way, hence I'm seeing a mix of everything right now. It doesn't really bother me though, I actually prefer having an English interface.