Advice/suggestions please

Some of you are aware that my dog had an operation on friday to have a lump removed. He totally freaked out when we put the cone on him so have tried different things to prevent him from licking -

1 T shirt covering his bottom with legs through the arm holes and tail through the neck, but he managed to get this off.

2 A towel gaffer taped around his neck, which he was comfortable with and meant he could not reach his stitches, but we worried that it would make him too hot, and

3 An inflatable ring around his neck, which he also does not mind but have to keep inflating it and he can still reach his stitches when it goes down a bit.

I have been off work and have been basically keeping a very close eye on him (basically following him around constantly) to stop him from licking. I have managed to get an extra days leave tomorrow but have to go back to work on Thurs and Fri due to staffing issues. My manager has said that I can make my days shorter and pop home at lunchtime but I am worried about him.

I can persevere with the cone, but he will not able to access his water while I am out and I am concerned about this. I feel that the towel around his neck is the most effective way of stopping him licking while I am not around and he can still access his water with this on, but I am worried he may get too hot. Do people think he would be ok in the towel or are there any other alternatives to the cone that people know about?

Cheers

Yanky also freaked out the first time he had a cone on. But he did calm down eventually. He should be able to reach food/water if you raise them up. Maybe you can try smaller dishes.

Cheers. I will try the cone again when he has woken up and I am sure we have got some smaller cat dishes he could use while we are out and will see if there is a way we can raise them up for him.

youre in the uk arent you? well it isnt too hot here atm. lol but you could soak the towel in water first?

Thats a great idea. Yeah, I'm in the UK. Its pretty cool in our house as well, high ceilings and wooden floors. He is a lot more comfortable with the towel and can access his water this way. I will be popping home too at lunchtime and I am able to work shorter hours for the next two days so he should be ok. I need to stop worrying so much!!!

Thats a great idea. Yeah, I'm in the UK. Its pretty cool in our house as well, high ceilings and wooden floors. He is a lot more comfortable with the towel and can access his water this way. I will be popping home too at lunchtime and I am able to work shorter hours for the next two days so he should be ok. I need to stop worrying so much!!!

Just chill out hun. Now hes has his op its time for you to relax a little. xx

Well I have got the cone on Sabien and he is stressed, crying and will not move!! I caught him licking his stitches today and they look a bit red so worrying about that too now :(. He is at vets for a check up tomorrow. AAARGH can't wait for his stitches to be out so I can relax and life can go back to normal