The Dogs From My Childhood

Just thought I'd make a post about the two dogs I grew up with :)

This is Pebbles, she's a labradore x (with what we don't know, the mother was a bit promiscuous! Feel free to have a guess :P) and was already 2 years old when I was born:

x1j42u.jpg

This is her with my dad (and our cat Muffy who unfortunately was only 8 months old when he was hit by a car):

2jd4c7.jpg

Pebbles was the softest dog I've ever known. In her whole life she didn't even so much as mouth or growl at me or my brother, she was perfect with children. My clearest memories of her are unfortunately towards the end of her life. She was pts at the age of 14 because her liver and kidneys had packed in, she had crippling arthritus and no bladder or bowel control at all. My parents were woken up at about 4am by her screaming in pain downstairs where she'd tried to get up to go to the toilet but collapsed in agony. They took her straight to the emergency vets and did the right thing. I can still remember the morning she died (I was about 11) - my 5 year old sister burst into my room and just shouted "Pebbles has died!!!!" I wasn't convinced because she'd said things like that before but Pebbles had just been sleeping :mad: So I just told her to look closer at her, that she would still be breathing, but she said that my dad had told her so I launched myself off of my bunk bed and ran downstairs. My dad didn't need to say anything, I could tell by the look on his face, and he just held out his arms for me. I was devestated. (boy, who'd have thought I'd still cry over this almost 11 years later?)

My dad also decided that it would be a good idea to rescue a large breed dog around the same time as getting Pebbles :eek: Sounds a bit crazy to want to do that when you already have a puppy, a kitten and a baby but he did it anyway (as a surprise for my mum - she only found out when she came home and he was there!). His name was Spatz, and he was a boxer x grate dane from Battersy Dogs Home:

6fpk6e.jpg

1z1fi2t.jpg

He was just as soft as Pebbles. He took all of my baby grabs and shakes and never did more than lick my face :) This is me as a baby with Spatz:

14d2e5l.jpg

His death was also hard for me. He died when he was 8 so I think I was only about 6 but I remember it all so clearly. My dad was at work and I was home with my mum and brother when Spatz started having a heart attack. My mum had no car and couldn't get hold of my dad so she was frantically calling around vet after vet after vet to see if anyone would come to get him, or at the very least help him at the house, but they all turned us away. We watched Spatz slowly collapse and die on our dining room floor. I was young enough that I didn't really fully understand what had happened so I almost feel more upset about it now than I did then, but I remember my mum was curled up on her bed for hours until my dad came home with a truck to drive him to the crematorium. I still have the image of them heaving him onto a big black mat so they could carry him out to the truck.

This turned out as a much more morbid post that I intended - I was supposed to be sharing their life! - but I suppose being so young it's not surprising the most emotional moments are the ones that are clearest in my mind :(

I'll end with one more photo of the two of them:

vxmbtw.jpg

a nice post :)

I grew up with a collie X (we don't know what with, she was a stray) called Jenny, my mum found her and after 2 weeks rescued her, like pebbles and Spatz she was also very gentle, I recall never hearing her growl or do anything even close to that, Jenny was already 7 years old when I came along, she was my mums best friend, she was always as good as gold :), I remember when she passed, its as clear as day, I was 8, my mum took her to the vets, but came home without her, lent against our radiator and just sobbed her heart out :(.

I'll try and get a pic of her uploaded when I get home.

then when I was 12 we got Guss :) from my aunties friend he was 6 at the time Guss is lovely, I have fun memories of trying to get Guss who is a small king charles spaniel, to pull me along while I was in rollerblades :rolleyes:, He is deffo my mums dog, and for the 1st year of him being with us, was quite possesive of her :P he only ever made a quiet growl though :P. He is 14 now and his age has defintley caught up with the old boy, he still loves the walkies even if he can't physically go very far :) He is Kitas Foster Grandad :P she looks after the old boy though :D

post-8679-13586083658594_thumb.jpg

post-5099-13585981803104_thumb.jpg