stubborn husky with food

hello there

right akira is nearly 6 months old and has always had the pet plan food as thats what the breeder gave her and she said its th best food for huskys, which i now know was just her opinion but you follow her advice dont you

well the thing is we went to a friends house a few days ago and akira managed to get to there dogs food which was pets at homes own puppy food

now she wont eat her own food and i think its because she has had some othr food that does look nicer than hers and has extra bits in, even i think it looks nicer

i looked on the ingrediants and other stuff and it says its roughly the same as the other stuff so what does anyone think

my husband thinks you should stay with the stuff she doesnt want because of the name but i dont see the harm in trying something new

any advice please as this is our first husky and we dont want to gt it wrong

Hi Hayhay, welcome to the world of Huskies.....lol

Ok, firstly, yes it could be that he tasted your friends dogs food and liked it more, but in my experience probably not.

Some huskies are just plain fussy, they will eat one thing one day and totally turn their noses up to it the next.

Luckily with Kiana she eats anything and everything, the only problem we have is that certain dry foods give her the runs.

At the moment she is on tinned puppy food (pedigree puppy), not my favourite choice, but she's doing really well on it and for the time being we're happy with that.

Just try and give her some of the food your friend has, borrow a little if you don't want to go and buy a big bag only to find out she's off that too. If she woofs that down then i'd go and buy some, as you say the ingredients are basically the same.

Just rule out first of all whether she's off food completely or just what you've been feeding her.

Keep us informed of your progress

Steve

Guest Gemma Riley

you should never regulary change a dogs food, especially a husky! You will create a fussy food monster that will quickly have you cooking fresh rice and chicken for it, as thats all it will eat!

I have seen this happen over and over again!

He probably isnt going off food but testing you as an owner. Sibes are very good at training there owners to feed them what they want. By giving in you create a very fussy eater that looks at you with big eyes and you cant resist cooking chicken for him because "thats all he will eat"

Stick to a good quality dry food, Royal Canin, Skinners, Best Choice, Pro Plan and Arden Grange are some examples alot of Sibe people feed. Do not go on the guidelines that are on the packet but on how the dog feels. You should be able to feel the ribs but not dip inbetween them. My lot are fed 200g a day of dry food thats it, no extra biscuits or treats. 200g is a good starting amount with food. Poo is a good indicator aswell, too much and they will have the runs so drop the amount slightly.

I also add warm water to our food just before I feed them to make it smell a bit more appealing.

I also dont agree with free feeding food. With a set time and a set amount you know whats going in and dogs love routine! If the dog doesnt eat it take it up after 10 minutes, I know dogs that have not eaten for 4 days but quickly realise that if they dont eat it, it will go missing. The dog will NOT starve if you do this, its not you being cruel to the dog its the dog being cruel to itself for not eating whats in front of it!

It really is a case of you get out what you put in with dog food ;)

Gemmsie

x

I agree with Gemma - don't pander to her, if my dogs don't eat their dinner within 15 minutes I take it away until the next meal time. A healthy dog won't starve itself. A smart dog will however work out that if they don't eat their food you will give them something better ;)

He probably isnt going off food but testing you as an owner. Sibes are very good at training there owners to feed them what they want. By giving in you create a very fussy eater that looks at you with big eyes and you cant resist cooking chicken for him because "thats all he will eat"

couldnt agree more!!! I am forever saying "if they dont eat what they are given then they are not to be fed anything else!" but unfortunately it seem EXTREMELY difficult to explain this to jamie and his family who will give in to them EVERY time!!!! The other night they had minced chicken from the butcher, nice and fresh, and Bandit refused to eat it from his bowl and then what do I find someone doing to them? SPOON feeding them all!!!!! Yes, thats right, they were being fed by a spoon!!! Fair enough, they ate it but thats not the point, they are meant to eat from their bowl not via spoon, they are dogs not babies!!!