help with brushing

I only really tend to brush them when their blowing and at 6 months old I doubt yours even has a full adult coat on to brush yet so I'd just stick to a normal brush to get her used to it for now. When mine are blowing (bareing in mind they have two totally different coat types) I use a rubber mit and a slicker brush to loosen the fur and a tight toothed comb to get it out for my boy who has a very soft coat and my girl has a wirer coat so generally just needs the tight toothed comb and only when shes at the start of her blow, when shes in full blow I can just pluck out the chunks. :)

At 6 months, I would stick with a slicker brush for her short puppy fur. As she gets older and her adult coat begins to grow in, I would switch to an undercoat rake. I tried a Furminator and was not happy with it. It was breaking off some of the longer outer coat which you do not want to do on a double coated dog. The rake leaves the top coat alone while getting deep down into all that loose undercoat. As others have said, when she is in full blow, you'll be able to pluck the loose tufts out by hand. That's where the hoover would come in real handy. :D Although, I don't know of too many Huskies that would sit still for that! Zoya runs and hides whenever she sees me getting ours out just to vacuum the floors.

Actually, can anyone recommend some good brushes/rakes etc? I have a couple but the most effective one is by far the furminator at this point. However I'm not a fan of it and neither is Aries...my girlfriend bought him a "chris christensen" brush which is supposed to be very good, but I can brush him for 10 minutes with it and barely get as much hard out as 1 minute with the furminator...looked them up online and for the price tag I'm sure she expected much better-eh! So if I can find something better quick we could return that thing and save £35 quid. :)

Thanks,

Calin

Actually, can anyone recommend some good brushes/rakes etc? I have a couple but the most effective one is by far the furminator at this point. However I'm not a fan of it and neither is Aries...my girlfriend bought him a "chris christensen" brush which is supposed to be very good, but I can brush him for 10 minutes with it and barely get as much hard out as 1 minute with the furminator...looked them up online and for the price tag I'm sure she expected much better-eh! So if I can find something better quick we could return that thing and save £35 quid. :)

Thanks,

Calin

This is one of my favorite tools - it's a rake, and the tines are like slim nails, set in a double row V-shape. It's very good for getting out the undercoat, especially when it's coming out in tufts and clumps.

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/405784/catid/213/vname/V_Rake_Dematter

A curry comb for horses, either in a spiral or simply a straight piece looped over double also can work really well, especially if you use it when they're wet, perhaps during a bath. Here's an example of the spiral kind...

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=5030&cm_vc=Search

Another favorite tool is a metal comb with about 1" teeth - there are what are called Grayhound tooth combs, which have no handle, and are fairly long, and there are shorter versions that have handles - I've found these quite inexpensively (yet they've worked well, just not lasted quite as long, but are more comfortable to hold and use) at Walmart!

What works best tends to depend on the dog, the coat, and the time - both at what point during the shed, and it can vary from shed to shed! biggrin.gif