Scruff of the neck...!!

KSNS

i've never heard that before either........i grab shiloh by his scruff all the time and it feels no different to me than when he was a pup

i before you all think im cruel i dont do it in an agressive way but sometimes he is very difficult to move out they way so i have to pull him with both his scruff and collar :blink:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i never grab mine by the scruff to pick up off the ground completely but i grab them if they start messing in things they shouldn't or when play fighting too much. neither complain but it gives me better control with my dogs as telling them to stop doesn't do anything sometimes just a little assertiveness helps in my opinion.

i dont grab hard but they know as soon as ive got them a little things calm down and they show no sign of fear or aggression infact they end up wanting loads of kisses i think its there way of apologising lol.

i do think you can research on the internet on this matter and many people do disagree with the idea some dogs wont like it at all but if you know your dog well and they dont mind it then i dont see why not personally as long as used in the right way.

The only time I grab by the scruff is when a fight breaks out. I've grabbed Nanuck by the scruff twice, and while he didn't start the fight, he was dominating it, so something had to be done.

Grabbing by the scruff will also get most dogs to release their grip. When doing it, I pull straight up, and walk backwards. I don't pull their gruff backwards, like most would do to a leash.

As an adult, does it cause them any pain? I'm sure it does, that's why they release their grip and calm down. Permanent pain? Seriously doubt it. IMO, it's about the same as someone grabbing you by your hair. Hurts like a SOB, but nothing damaging.

At work when i've had to break up dog fights i've grabbed by the scruff as it really does make them release their grip. I do it to my own dogs (clearly not the same as if they were fighting) all the time to move them off the couch or keep them from doing something. We don't keep collars on in the house because we've broken a lot with the roughhousing and I don't like replacing collars and because it's dangerous with the amount of face wrestling that goes on here. They don't mind at all. The only one who cries is Odin, but jesus if you push him too hard he cries. Serious baby he is.