scooter training my husky

Hi All

just a quick question for anyone who can help. im looking at scooter training my husky having done some research it looks like great fun and something i think my husky would really enjoy.

i found this starter pack http://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-scooters/scooter-starter-pack-single.html

seems pretty good to me but just wanted to see what other thought as a beginner scooter pack.

the other thing i want to know if anyone can help with this is do you have to have a permit to use your scooter ?

i have been told nearby at cannock chase if anyone knows or goes there that you need a permit to train there i dont plan to you cannock chase i have a large park near by me in sutton which could be great for scooter training but i dont want to get into trouble.

any help with this would be great im new to the site this being my second post smile.gif so if something like thois has been posted before i apologise

personally if you feel its something you think you will both enjoy then go for one which will be robust enough to go over forest trails bumps and lumps etc..im sure its up to the job but im sure it will do the job its just that you will take the jolts as well. (i went for the suspended pawtrekker one due to an exsisting neck injury)

i would contact your local council regarding permits but generally yes permits are required. there's an unclear rule around its ok for 1 dog but its always worth checking it out! get yourself an OS map and look for by ways as you can use those.

Its worth doing a bit of searching for any mushers who train locally so you can learn off them and train with them - thats what i did. i contacted someone from sibespace forum and he's been a fantastic help/support/mentor! its also worth looking at the events page on snopeak to see if there are any rallies you can go to and meet with other mushers and learn from them...the one thing they can talk about is huskys and mushing!! LOL

huskys are natural pullers but to do safely they need to know the commands so start practising these while walking - gee, haw, on by etc. that way you will be able to tell your dog what to do rather than them randomly run with you in tow!!!

and be prepared...next you will want 2 more huskys (3 dog team), a van with fixed crates and a bed in it so you can go to the rallies....enjoy!

there's a rally in the forest of dean, gloucestershire this weekend!!

he is 18 months im a little bit worried that too late & he might not take to it but i wont know until i try.

it looks not only great for the dogs but i will absolutely love it as well so im very keen on doing itbiggrin.gif

storm was adopted and never did it before and loves it. its taken some training and sometimes he is stubborn (he's such a damn husky!!) but he loves it. he is better with a 2nd dog though to help motivate him. before you splash out i would meet up with someone to see what its like - you are more than welcome to come to one of our training sessions in gloucestershire but im sure there is someone more local to you.

I just cant imagine there is many huskys who wouldnt like it (other than those who have had a bad experience with a scooter/rig)

superb that is really helpful cheers.

will get on that right away thank you.

if i could expand my pack i would i have a pain in my plan though.... MY GIRLFRIEND!!!dry.gif

will see if the guys who train up cannock chase dont mind me coming to see and giving it a go i will have a look around for other scoooter before i purchase this one just looked great as it comes with a few things.

any websites you recommend?

well i got the pawtrekker scooter and i think its great but i have learnt you have to regularly check it over as the knocks and bumps means the screws can work loose - as i found out just before i started a race LOL...thanks goodness i wasnt on it!!

i cant recommend any sites to be honest as i have learnt from the musher - who has been fantastic and im happy to take pointers, feedback etc as thats how i learn. i have entered into races and will continue to do so - i will never win tho!! but its about exercise for us both!

I defo recommend trying it out...but im sure you will get hooked especially when you see your dog enjoy it so much and they are sooooooooo chilled out!

As for your GF - i always said i wasnt gonna get 1 dog...and here i am with 2 and wanting a 3rd (cant see it happening tho!)...but be warned it will happen you will get on the slippery slope to having a pack, a van, a rig and all the other stuff you need!! LOL

For scooters I'd recomend keeping an eye out on ebay you can get the stuff you need muuuuuch cheaper on there! x backs custom made for £13, ganglines with built in bungee for £20 odd and scooters for waaaaay cheaper.. you just have to keep your eyes peeled! But yeah would deffo have a go and see if someone will let you run your husky on their scooter first just to check you both like it! :)