Scratching at doors..

Ok.. not sure how I can deal with this.. as i'm on the other side of the door when it happens..

When Neo goes overboard on his nipping.. we put him in the kitchen for time out.. all of a sudden he's started scratching at the door..

Now.. we know shouting won't change anything.. and we know we need to ignore the behaviour..

SO.. how do we stop him doing it ??? lol

He's not crated.. so that's not an option at the moment..

Just wondered if anyone had an idea at all..

:)

When storm wants to come in he got into the habit of launching at the door...and i mean launching...he would run from the end of the garden and throw himself at the door! it was a huge THUD

Anyway what we did was hide behind the door (half window, half UPVC) and just as he was about to hit the door the person hiding suddenly opened it. this surprised him totally and now rarely does it.

We now have a 10wk puppy who is scratching at the door and in principle we are doing the same. suddenly opening the door and saying a firm NO. close the door and keep repeating until he no longer scratches at the door and then he can come in.

I am no expert and some people may say thats wrong...i'm also open to ideas...but for now this is what we're doing. its worked for storm - we just need to work on thunder!

naughty neo!!!! :angry:

shiloh hasnt done this yet huni....although he is crated so maybe this is why??

sorry im not much help, but i will say one thing....coz shiloh is crated he hasnt destoyed a single thing inside the house- we are very strict with him and although sometimes i fink we maybe a little too strict...its worked out for us as we still have a nice, presentable house without any husky destruction inside :D

i know some people would never crate their huskies as they think its cruel but i would never live without ours now....hope you manage to sort something out huni...sorry im not much help x x

Logan used to scratch at the floor of his crate to come out so a similar thing to what you guys are saying. All we did was sit next to the crate door and give a firm "no" and waited until he stopped before opening the door. Sometimes it took ages others it only took a few seconds, but we consitantly did it for a few days and now he just gives a whine to be let out for toilet in the morning and sits patiently when we come down to let him out.

Just dont reward the behaviour i.e let him out as that will just encourage him to do it more.

We've tried the opening the door and saying No.. as Neo does the launching at doors thing to come in too..

Not so fussed as the scratching thing.. he knows when he's done wrong and that's when the scratching starts..

I will say - that as much as I didn't like the idea - the little bit of mustard has worked lol.. he stopped and I went in and praised him after a minute of quiet.. he's now stopped fully and is back in with me.. SOOOOO do I continue with that.. can mustard hurt him ?? i've read a little can't

We did try crating but the neighbours moaned about the noise.. so after a week of complaints we had to stop :(

g

We've tried the opening the door and saying No.. as Neo does the launching at doors thing to come in too..

Not so fussed as the scratching thing.. he knows when he's done wrong and that's when the scratching starts..

I will say - that as much as I didn't like the idea - the little bit of mustard has worked lol.. he stopped and I went in and praised him after a minute of quiet.. he's now stopped fully and is back in with me.. SOOOOO do I continue with that.. can mustard hurt him ?? i've read a little can't

We did try crating but the neighbours moaned about the noise.. so after a week of complaints we had to stop :(

if it works then keep it up untill you no longer need to use the mustard, keep reducing it after a week or so

Ok first things first... claire you own me some incontinance pads coz I just wet myself thinking of Storm chargeing from the other end of the garden and then the door opening and the look of surpise on his face like in a cartoon! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nikki.. have you tryed getting a dog gate... then when you want to put him in a time out put him behind the gate and ignor him.. that way he cant stratch the door, he can still see you so he doesnt PANICK thinking you've left him but hes kept away from the family so he knows he did bad! :)

Ok first things first... claire you own me some incontinance pads coz I just wet myself thinking of Storm chargeing from the other end of the garden and then the door opening and the look of surpise on his face like in a cartoon! :lol: :lol: :lol:

we didnt mind storm doing it, but we could forsee 2 of the little devils doing it and thinking that we should curb it!!

Yep he was so surprised...his face was like WTF is going on...he runs down the garden and sits about 3ft from the door now! no pain or punishment involved!

Nikki.. have you tryed getting a dog gate... then when you want to put him in a time out put him behind the gate and ignor him.. that way he cant stratch the door, he can still see you so he doesnt PANICK thinking you've left him but hes kept away from the family so he knows he did bad! :)

We had a gate up until last week.. he usually sits at the gate and then instead of doing the usual thing.. *we expected him to clear it* no - he goes into full on whine mode no matter who he can see.. and again because of the neighbours don't want it to last too long and then get moaned at.

So.. tried without the gate and this is the result..lol

If we can't curb it.. it will have to be back to the gate :)

We had a gate up until last week.. he usually sits at the gate and then instead of doing the usual thing.. *we expected him to clear it* no - he goes into full on whine mode no matter who he can see.. and again because of the neighbours don't want it to last too long and then get moaned at.

So.. tried without the gate and this is the result..lol

If we can't curb it.. it will have to be back to the gate :)

If you go back to the gate... wait for a break in the whineing 30seconds to a minute then let him out this way he learns that its not the noise its the quiet that gets him out. :)