Pleco not feeding

We have two tropical tanks and we have 2 pleco in each tank. Our 2 pleco'sin one tank are feeding well and has an algae wafer each aswell. However our other 2 pleco aren't feeding at all, it isnt feeding on algae wafers or any of the algae in the tank! It hasnt fed for over a week now and was wondering if anyone here nows of any causes that could stop a pleco from eating. I've done all the water tests possible and all is clear and level.

Also they are all still young and small (for a pleco!) and the two plecs that are eating still are growing well but the ones that are not eating don't seem to have grown since we have had them :blink:

did you get them from the same place? Might be a different strain that simply stays smaller. Plecs dont eat a great deal anyway, ours get the odd wafer but seem happy enough with the algae in the tank and occasionally have a go at the plants.

We bought them all from the same place but at different times.Theres plenty of algae in the tank but there doesnt seem to be any sign of them feeding on it as the tanks is getting more and amore algae. Our other tank only gets the water change and filter clean as the plecs keep the algae in control but is the opposite in the other thank where the plecs dont seem to be eating, We are having to continuously clean the algae as it keeps taking over the tank!

hmm strange, in regards to where its positioned is the out of control tank near any sunlight.? Sorry if im being too obvious lol

Also the temps of the tanks will have an influence, maybe try adjusting the temp to a degree or two either side of what your at? Obviously not an option if your breeding anything in there though.

Are both the filters running right? Maybe the out of control one needs a new carbon sponge?

Just some ideas!

hmm strange, in regards to where its positioned is the out of control tank near any sunlight.? Sorry if im being too obvious lol

Also the temps of the tanks will have an influence, maybe try adjusting the temp to a degree or two either side of what your at? Obviously not an option if your breeding anything in there though.

Are both the filters running right? Maybe the out of control one needs a new carbon sponge?

Just some ideas!

We cleaned the filters last week, they are due another clean so will buy some new carbon sponge for it and see if that does anything.

The tanks are next to patio doors but there's no sunlight reaching the tanks at the moment as it's set almost by the time the sun gets around there, if you get me.

Worth a try, you dont want too much algae in the water anyway even with a plec or two. Might be worth having a larger than normal water change along with a massive clean on the bottom to clear it up. I had an algae bloom a few months ago and i got so sick of it i removed the fish into the spare tank, emptied the gravel and filtered out the dirt then scrubbed the whole thing.

Few questions.

When was the last time you did a water change?

How do you clean the filters?

Have you added any chemicals to the water?

Dont buy carbon filters to put in it as it will likley not do any good. I generally only put them in mine when I have been treating the water quite heavily to remove the residual