digging in the garbage cans

Hey guys,

Spirit's been mischievous lately....she been digging through garbage can every now and than when we're not home. We come home to find the mess and cleans it up, sometimes we punish her by putting her into her time-out zone. But she continues to dig through the garbage can =.= and sometimes it's just frustrating to come home to garbage all over the floor. She doesn't do this when we're home, she's calm and sleeps when we're home but just a little mischievous/bad when we're out at work. By the way....we've tape down our garbage =P

Does anyone have any idea what to do or how to cure or change her behaviour in a good way so i wouldn't be coming home to find garbage all over the floor.

Thanks,

Ev

Crate her while you are not home. We crate our little girl while we are working or somewhere we can't

take her with us. Echo has her own room that we put her in when we are eating. It may seem mean, but

there are things in the garbage that could potentially hurt her. I feel safer knowing that she is in her crate

while we are working because she can't eat anything that can harm her. We also know she isn't destroying

anything that she shouldn't be!

Evelyn, if you don't want to crate her, you may not have too many options. Huskies become bored, they get into mischief. It is their nature. Punishing her after-the-fact really won't help either, because she won't connect the deed to the punishment. We have a kennel that Zoya goes in when we have to leave the house. Our last Husky would tear into the garbage, even when we were home. We ended up getting a trash compactor. But those are not cheap. You're going to be better off to invest in a crate, and begin to crate train her. Otherwise, look for a trash container with a lockable lid if that's the only issue you are having with her. Just be prepared for her to direct her attention to something else.

My old guy (now 13) used to get into the trash can in the bathroom or bedroom, mainly to get used tissues (yuck!) to chew up - and surprised me again the other day by doing it again (he hasn't for a very long time)! Aside from a taste (not uncommon for the dogs, in my experience) for used tissues, he has typically done it when he was unhappy that I went someplace and didn't take him with me. He had asked to come with me on this particular occasion, and I'd told him he had to stay home...

We had to get a trash can in the bathroom with a lid that you could only open by stepping on a lever, but I'm sure it wouldn't take long to figure that out if interested enough.

when i house/pet sat the dog i was looking after could get into one of those bins no problem lol

when i house/pet sat the dog i was looking after could get into one of those bins no problem lol

Oh yeah my Shadow can.. hes very smart when he wants to be steps on the peddle then keeps the lid open with his nose! LOL Cheeky bleeder! But thats just when I go round a friends house so now hes just not allowed in her kitchen... my bin is one of the hidey under the sink kind..

bakakittie, its as the other guys said really, either remove the trash or remove the dog! Not alot other than that you can do!