Crate train an older dog....it's possible :-)

It wasn't really a plan to crate train Whisper but he started to go into Zihna's crate on his own and seemed to like it. So I got him one of those pop up foldable crates. I did a couple of treat sessions to have him go in by himself and gave him a Kong with yummy stuff each time he went in by himself today. The crate got here this afternoon and by 11pm he went in and got comfy and went to sleep in it. I would have NEVER thought that he would ever get into a crate voluntarily. I used to have a dog house for him when he was little and it was a total waste of money. :lol:

So now that they are not allowed on the couch anymore each one of them has their own little chill out spot :D

Earlier today:

100_1052.jpg

This evening all curled up ready to go nite nite:

100_1055.jpg

aww, looks like he loves it :D :D

i never crate trained yogi as a young pup, now he is over a year, i tried it a couple of weeks ago.

he didnt like it to start with, but now i leave it open from him and he will be in and out of it all day.

at night he will fall asleep on the floor, all i have to do is shake the crate door and he will get up and go in it to sleep for the night :D

i believe it is deff a good idea to create train as it gives the dog a den that they find as a home.......

aww, looks like he loves it :D :D

i never crate trained yogi as a young pup, now he is over a year, i tried it a couple of weeks ago.

he didnt like it to start with, but now i leave it open from him and he will be in and out of it all day.

at night he will fall asleep on the floor, all i have to do is shake the crate door and he will get up and go in it to sleep for the night :D

i believe it is deff a good idea to create train as it gives the dog a den that they find as a home.......

Oh thats great. I think its the curiosity that gets them and they go in to check it out eventually and then they figure out that it is not so bad. :D

Andy took the crate apart, second time disconnecting all the wires from the bottom. When Stormy was about 11 and suddenly alone, she started eating walls, so we got a crate. She loved it as she got older.

I think they may be like us humans...as we get older we like to have our own little quiet place too. :)

aww Bless him, we only have the room for one crate, but when its not used for skyla (she only goes in it when we go out) Blaze will sometimes go to bed in it, mainly when im out n dont get in till 2 he will be in there othertimes hes in my room lol

Oh I know what you mean....they take so much room...especially the metal crates. I like this pop up one because if people was to come over I can just fold it away :)