huskys and kick sleds, anyone done it?

So have been looking at purchasing a kick sled to take my husky winter camping, shes still a pup, so I got a few years to wait, I mostly want to do my usually hiking, snowcaving, snowboarding etc, but I figure I could use the kick sled to atleast haul some gear, and get around quicker, That and it would be a great experience for me and my dog.

Was wondering if anyone had taken a single dog out , or used a kick sled for an extended period of time (3-5 days) What was ur experience, is it worth the investment. Did you have fun, advice on what gear to get, or wear to get cheap gear.

I am new to this and am not planning on taking my dog on the Iditorod or anything, just some hard adrenaline driven work in the snow, what do you guys think.

From what I picture you wanting to do Ithink you will get more frusterated with only 1 dog and such a small sled rather than have success. If all you want her to do is haul your gear than that would be great (make sure to keep her onleash though). However if you are picturing her hauling the gear and you riding the sled that is way too much to ask of one dog even with you helping out by pedaling/kicking.

From what I picture you wanting to do Ithink you will get more frusterated with only 1 dog and such a small sled rather than have success. If all you want her to do is haul your gear than that would be great (make sure to keep her onleash though). However if you are picturing her hauling the gear and you riding the sled that is way too much to ask of one dog even with you helping out by pedaling/kicking.

Thanks ive thought the same thing, by gear I mean my pack, I could carry it, as well as throw it on the sled. I have seen youtube videos of kick sleds with only one dog, and I expect to do alot of work too, it just looks like alot of fun, I imagine that I will probly spend as much time carrying the sled as riding on it, but the one I have been looking at only weighs 13 pounds. IDK maybe I get another dog LOL, my wife would not go for that :( The vision is that I condition her and train her from now until shes old enough to do it, IDK I think you might be right though.but even if she just dragged my gear on a sled as I hiked next to her, that would be helpfull,

The thing I get most excited about is picturing her help me dig out a snow cave to spend the night.

Lots to think about, the gear is not cheap, I was hoping for a little more feedback than ive gotten already, ANYONE, ANY THOUGHTS PLZ

When I first started it was just me and OC and a sprint sled (it weighs about 18Lbs). I did as much work as he did but we still wouldn't be gone for more than 1/2hr before we'd both be tired and I was just a 15 year old kid at the time. Yes you could pedal around with your dog but if you want to do these massive 3-5 day excursions I would look more at her just hauling the gear and not you too. For sure teach her to be out in front of you so in some spots you could ride to control the sled (like on downhills). She should be able to haul the gear the entire length of the 3-5 day trips no problem with the right conditioning.

There is a guy near me who goes out all day with his Canadian Eskimo Dog but he pedals the entire time, they have no gear, they only travel on the river or the railroad bed (so its flat, no hills) and its an Eskimo Dog not a husky. Eskimo dogs are known for their size and incredible strength.

Oh ya, you'll also want to teach her to remain at a steady trotting pace and not take off like a bat out of hell like she'll likely want to do. She needs to learn to conserve the energy to make the distance.

I also plan on having her pull my daughter around the park in a little snow sled at some point, the training has been going good, havent hooked her up to her anything yet obviousle shes only 10 weeks old, but when walking I have taught her the command lead, which means she is to walk out infront of me, I then pull back on the leash just enough so she gets used to the resistance, been working on getting her to be consistant, (she likes to vear off), Ive never trained a dog to respond to commands like right, left, trot, run etc. but for the week and half I have been training her to do this I am very happy with her proggress, very exciting new experience