Birds and squirrels

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great posts Smeagle - added to rep

When I take my boys to the forest or on a casual everyday walk and we see and bird or squirrel, etc they all seem to react differently. Gizmo will try and chase it but as soon as I pull him back he will completely forget what he was chasing, i think thats usually because whatever he was trying to chase has ran off out of sight. Marley will leap forward and then just stand there and watch it run away. Bandit will just stop dead for a while and then crawl, like a big cat would do when stalking prey, towards it and suddenly jump towards it and then the bird (or squirrel, etc) will run away so he will usually try and look into all the trees and hedges trying to find a scent.

I agree with what smeagle says about not training them to do this as you may find yourself having problems in future training.

Saw his first rabbit last night and he was totally transfixed. I think he maybe realised only after it had scarpered that he was on the long lead and could probably have caught it if he'd been quick enough.

Amazingly though, at least I think its amazing, he actually carried a frog into the hall and put it down without injuring it at all - perhaps he brought it for Me!! Anyway when I picked it up to take it outside he just walked off.

Don't suppose that'll last very long!

awww lol no, you're right, enjoy it while it lasts!!