Barking at other dogs?

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time getting spirit to stop barking/lunging at other dogs when we're on our walks. I tired getting her to sit down. When she starts barking and/or lunging again i say "no" and get her to "sit"....she'll only do it for 30sec and she goes at it again....the other owners are afraid to come near us =S

She only does this to some dogs and it's in our neighbourhood....i have no idea why. I've brought her to off leash dog parks and she doesn't seem to bark or be aggressive with other dogs there. I've also took her to this event called "Woofstock" where all dogs gather in one area, and she doesn't do it either. I dont want to her to be viewed/looked down by other owners as a mean/aggressive dog =( Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ev

Good advice there from Jennet!

Bakakittie, I have a BIG boy who is a rescue and nearly two years old.. he does EXACTLY the same thing.. its not him being aggressive it just that he gets soooo over excited to meet the other dog he cant control himself.. I am working on him with what Jennet said I use "look" as my command word and it is working VERY slowly but we're getting there.. I also find just calling out to the other owner that hes not being aggressive tends to make them relax a little bit.. also I try to keep my body language as calm as possible .. If you see another dog comeing and immediately tense up and pull the lead in tight to you it sends a signal to your dog that there is something to be anxious/get excited about so try to start as calm as possible and not to react to the other dog.

Iv also seen on "its me or the dog" a method of sharp turns, so you see a dog coming towards you you turn your dog sharply the other way then turn back again.. this confuses your dog and gives them something else to think about rather than barking at the other dog so they are distracted when the other dog goes past.. perhaps combine that with the "watch me" or "look" so your dog is totally focused on what your doing. :)