slight aggression when getting petted when other dog comes near

I brought a rescue home recently, she's a bit over a year but no one knows for sure. she was neglected and starved and as far as they know she wasn't beaten or hit - she certainly doesn't seem like it. where i have found a bit of aggression is if i'm petting her or she's lying down by me and skyy comes over hanna (the newbie) will bare her teeth a little. she doesn't seem to do it any other time so far except when i'm giving her attention. i would guess she doesnt want me sharing attention while she's getting it. so far i give her a stern NO and a small swat to her muzzle to break her focus.

what other tips might you suggest? would me getting up or moving her away help get the point across?

thanks everyone

I would be really careful even acknowledging her aggression as you dont want to accidentally re-enforce it and make it worse.

I THINK by the sounds of it that Hanna is just not quite sure of how things lie just yet.. she doesnt know Skyy and it sounds like she is a little weary of her... being stroked and petted makes her relaxed but then Skyy's presents unsettles her, shes not sure if Skyy might hurt her and doesnt want to be relaxed around her just yet.

Personally I would try getting Skyy next to you and petting her and then encoraging Hanna to come to you (use food if you need to) then in a calm quite voice praise for them being near each other and near you at the same time, stroking them both together. Praise her whenever she shows calm relaxed behaviour around Skyy and that way it helps her to learn that its ok and no one is going to hurt her. :)

Good luck! Hope she gets better... if she doesnt maybe look up some behavioursts and just ring them up and chat with them about it?

Tha nks, great suggestion. After some more observation I'm beginning to think skyy is the one with the problem. She's very toy possessive which is causing some aggression between the two huskies. The little pom mix hasn't been on the reveiving end of any grolwling or teeth baring since yesterday morn. Its just these two bitches now hah

oooh yeah its the "Iv been an only child so aaaall the toys are mine" thing my girl has this.. Iv been working with timeouts.. so if she starts to stare my rescue out while hes playing with a toy she gets told NO, if she carries on and escalates to growling, barking then she gets taken outside and left alone for a couple of minutes till shes calmed down, so far shes only needed 2 timeouts, shes getting the message very quickly! :)

things seem to be getting better - yesterday was nearly completely problem free as was most of saturday. friday night things kind of blew up and i had to drag skyy away and made her go in the basement for about 20 minutes. after she cried for a bit while hearing everyone else having a good time she came back onto the main floor and was visibly mopey about the whole thing. i think she's getting the point now. thanks for such great advice :)

When I had one of my fosters, Raleigh, he used to do this and would get crabby when another dog would come up while he was getting attention. What I did was continue to pet whomever i was petting and to pet the other one with my free hand. If he would give them "the lip" (barring teeth) I would stop petting him and tell him to "go." (pretty much means you're pissing me off/ doing something wrong, get away) and he would slink off to another part of the house. After a few days he figured he might as well just deal with sharing the attention rather then being excluded for being crabby. She's also still adjusting and trying to figure out where she fits in the pack. Cheyenne is crabby about her toys (or anything that's in her personal area) so when I bring a new dog home I will generally pick up anything that she could "claim" to avoid issues until everyones more calm and used to each other.