Protective gear for the head?

Well I 've decided to stop tempting fate and preserve what small amount of brain matter I have left by wearing a cumbersome, claustrophobic, and hot, piece of protective head gear this year.

Can you tell me what you wear and why you like (or chose) it?

I scooter, sled, and rig, (as I recall....) ;)

While you might wear a bike or skateboard helmet on a scooter, I have never seen anybody on a dog sled wearing a helmet. And I can't even visualize it. :P

Considering dogs have been pulling us around on sleds in the snow for the last two thousand years, it's probably still quite safe. :)

I wear a fur hat sledding and a wool toque skijoring.

While you might wear a bike or skateboard helmet on a scooter, I have never seen anybody on a dog sled wearing a helmet. And I can't even visualize it. :P

Considering dogs have been pulling us around on sleds in the snow for the last two thousand years, it's probably still quite safe. :)

I wear a fur hat sledding and a wool toque skijoring.

Snows a bit softer than frozen mud ;)

Thank you Sid, ;), snow is indeed softer than frozen mud, trees, and the prolific rocks and inclines (down...I guess that would make them DEclines, huh?) that line our trails.

Mac...more and more folks are wearing them around here, and I guess I'm either conceding to peer pressure, or realizing how lucky I've been to date?

Either way...I won't be able to care for my dogs when my IQ is level is below that of the average garden tomato, so while I'm kicking and screaming about this....I'm just going to do it.

The snowboarding helmets REALLY turn me off...they look soooo heavy and constricting.

I found a vented, light weight, rather full coverage, bike helmet in the shop that replaced my rig tires last week...and wondered if "those in the better know" had any reason that that helmet might not suffice? (Other than the price tag. ouch.)

This is going to be a major drag, but better than "pulp for brains" I guess?

Shoot, I forgot...thanks for the input, it's exactly what I am needing before my wallet explodes at the $130.00 bike store helmet! Other ideas. :)

There was a lady in our race circuit last year that wore a jockey helmut (horse racing). She even had a silk pink covering for it! To me it looked very cumbersome.

I don't even wear a helmut when riding horses, I really don't plan on wearing one when running dogs. I find they throw off my balance and are such a pain.

You're not serious? People wearing helmets on dog sleds or skijoring? OMG! Do you have any pictures??

Not so much concerned about sledding, primarily rigs and scooters. Oh, and it's Open season on doe for the first 4 weeks we train.

The dogs are pretty bomb-proof by the end of Winter.

You're not serious? People wearing helmets on dog sleds or skijoring? OMG! Do you have any pictures??

Not so much concerned about sledding, primarily rigs and scooters. Oh, and it's Open season on doe for the first 4 weeks we train.

The dogs are pretty bomb-proof by the end of Winter.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the beginings of starting to scooter myself and was actually thinking something similar for safety gear and got laughed at by a friend who doesnt even wear a helmet when riding her bike on the road so thanks 4sibes! Making me feel less of a wuss! I was even considering some elbow/knee pads.. and since Im gunna be scootering some ass padding! LOL :lol: Too far? Im just thinking the smallest most lightweight bike helmet I can find but still in the process of looking for one!

Gotta admit, I do forget mine sometimes, but I try to remember it, when your going about 15mph you wanna have something protecting your noggin if the dogs decide to do a 90 degree turn towards that squirrel!

I really feel the cold too so wear so many layers on my body I think I'd just bounce!! :lol:

Im sure its a safety requirement during rallies over here, thats gotta tell you something ;)