How Do You Know when to ignore?

I was just reading Silke's post about leash training and thought I'd start a new thread since that one is 7 pages long.

How do you know what behavior to ignore and what behavior to correct? The trainer told us to ignore jumping up and reward sitting nicely, for example, but Milla seems to think that to get a treat she must first jump and bark and then sit nicely. Ditto begging for food. Ignore or correct?

I was just reading Silke's post about leash training and thought I'd start a new thread since that one is 7 pages long.

How do you know what behavior to ignore and what behavior to correct? The trainer told us to ignore jumping up and reward sitting nicely, for example, but Milla seems to think that to get a treat she must first jump and bark and then sit nicely. Ditto begging for food. Ignore or correct?

I would go further than ignoring when jumping up Id actually fold my arms and turn away completely so you are TOTALLY ignoring her. With the beggining yep just ignoring unless she actaully tries to get something off you then correct with a firm NO MINE and maybe add a lay down command so that she really gets the point, but generally if your training her in other areas this shouldnt be nessasary just ignoring her while your eating not making any eye contact she should get the message and either settle down or go away. :) Good luck!

I read somewhere that you should use treats to teach a dog to sit, lie down etc... and once they can do it give them a treat on the 2nd or 3rd time they do it then the 5th time and so on until they can do it without a treat and you give them fuss and love instead.

What if next time you ask her to sit and she jumps up and barks you ignore her by turning you back to her or leave the room, this shows that her behaviour is unacceptable and she will soon stop....or so the book says

when we took shiloh to training when he was a pup the trainer we used told us only to reward the behaviour you want....so if you dont want him jumping up at you turn your back away from him and wait for him to sit nice and calmly then reward that behaviour as its what you want either with lots of praise or with food...we used both but now he only gets rewarded by praise and his ball