Larger teams

Hello there

I been wondering if / or there are more people in here who have a larger team of dogs. Most that i see here do scootering and bikeing and that made me curriose on the larger teams.

Lucinda

Hi Lucinda,

There are a few of us on here who run larger teams. I usually run four or six dogs.

4dog2web.jpg

snowpic26edit.jpg

Yately6.jpg

Mick

A couple of years ago there where more larger teams then now. numbers are dropping here. The 2 dog teams with bike or pawtrekkers are groweing in nummers. 4 dog teams are in good numbers aswell but bigger then that are dieing out. I think the crisis and patrol prises are getting to the people here.

This year i got 13 running dogs 9 in the fast team 3 in the senor team and 1 joining a friend in training in a 3 dog team. 2 Youngsters will have their debute this year and i'm very curriose on how they will do. The weather is getting better with temperatures between 10 and 18 C but the fluid levels in the ait is to high still, i hope 1 or 2 weeks to begin training again.

I got 3 difrent training grounds in my area. a beach where we can run 24 kilometers (12 up and 12 back) That is for muscle training. Then we have a forrest where we do night trainings and a forrest where we do day trainings. This year i hp to participate on a competion called the Trans Thuringia Witch is held in Germany. a 5 day competition with 1 night bivak the longest lap held is 55kilometers a day.

Due t the lenght i have to make my trining more organised en we will be training near my plase aswell on the sides of the small country paths.

we got other then the big race multible other weekends till december. about every weekend. Staring with an introduction weekend where new and exsperienced people meet and help eachother. The trail there is nog for time running but to learn. there are difrent emergency situations played out dureing your run to give you the exsperience on how to act en keep your dogs and oyur self save. Last year i was in the organisation with it this year i will be again but also hope to run my dogs aswell , if not my father and 2 handlers will.

Well thats about it...

dsc0073xg.jpg

2007 competition

pict0025zj.jpg

2008 training

mg0273.jpg

This was this years training camp in begium. My Dad on the back of the qaud . we did 17 kilometer then

4108583051272ef2cc07b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And this was a competion with my handler on the back of the qaud. We always go with 2 ppl due to savety.

:) well thats a view on how we go over here.

Wow...that looks phenominal...

Fox is still just a pup...and has at least another year before we can look into actually doing anything with a team. I wouldn't even begin to know where to begin to find a group in my area but I know that there are groups. Tonight we started incorporating Hike, Hike up, Woah, Gee, and Haw into our evening training sessions. I have a short list of basic commands but...well yeah we have alot of work to do. We're doing all of these on leash right now...he's pretty competative but not very good at long distances...We're doing a hundred yards at a time with oodles of praise at the end of each. He really tries to keep himself from being caught up with...baby steps...baby steps.

I'm so jealous!

We started with baby steps aswell.. 3 dogs running in someone elses teams... then at one point dog 4 came and we could start working on our own. Here we aren't alouwed to run 3 whealed cars due to de risk of tumbeling over. Well i can tell you that the first attempts got me no where, well somewhere but deffenetly the other directions then i wanted. They desided other roads looked better then the ones i choose for.

It did get better but at the point Hobbit, an exsperienced lead dog joined the team got me realy going. If i wanted left we went left ... and right worked aswell. she knew how to judge the path on hardnes and we got twice asfast just cause of her inteligence. In the years we got her she tought my leaddogs and leaddogs in training so many things. I think without het i still be lost :)

That's so good to hear...I got an email address to try to find people with more experience in my area...just because well I do completely admit that i am by no means a genius or all knowing when it comes to this stuff...Fox and I are sort of figuring this out as we go along...what works and what doesnt...but I'm more than willing to learn from someone elses mistakes ::noodles::

• 3 weeks later...

Though I only have 3 dogs right now I run anywhere from 2 dogs on the scooter all the way up to 14 dogs with an ATV. With the sled my biggest team has been 8 so far because I'm not sure if my little Chatmac Gremlin could safely handle much more LOL Although my mom did just pick up a second sled thats a bit heavier so maybe... When racing I only have entered up to 4 dogs for now.

As for running larger teams dieing out, I think it has more to do with location. Here in North America its still going fairly strong with enough races to keep everyone occupied. But then again, here we also have more wilderness and countryside without laws governing how was run/train the dogs.

(not me on the atv in this pic but that is the ATV I used and some of the dogs on that team were dogs I ran)

DSC04571.jpg

At a race

DSC_0521.jpg

Training with 8 dogs

DSC03007.jpg

a 31 dogs :) all siberians aswell and what do you run, distance or sprint or more tourist like business?

ocspirit, from what i ubnderstand you have 3 dogs but sometimes run with moer, a befriended kennel or just other ppl who's dogs run along with you?

2 weeks ago we had our first training. hope everyone who trains had the same luck or even better with the weather.

• 2 weeks later...

a 31 dogs :) all siberians aswell and what do you run, distance or sprint or more tourist like business?

Hi

We are a hobby kennel based in scotland who compete at all levels of sprint racing, have been for about 17 years now.

My husband is the main musher training all of our dogs and racing the sibes, I occasionally run a couple of our hounds in the 2-dog open class.

Cheers

Lynn

• 3 weeks later...

He girlfriend! :P

Last year I was lucky to have all 8 in front of the sled... Don't think I can manage that again this year because of old age of one leaddog and physical problems of the second leaddog :( The team is one big mess at the moment!

Think I will beg you to lent me a dog or 2 somewhere this season... :rolleyes:

Great to see all the pics in this topic!