Help with Stevo pulling???

Hi i am having big probs with stevo pulling while walking, he is better on halti but he really hates it so would like to be able to walk on just a collar and lead! I have tried a lot but he is getting his strength now and pulls like a steam train, not making walks enjoyable at all i now have blisters on my hand from holding his lead! At mo he is on retractable as he is a bit easier slightly in front of me as he spreads his front legs to pull away when he is beside me!!! Thinking of calling a trainer to help, just wondered if you guys have any ideas or experiances??????

How long have you been using the halti for? How was Stevo introduced to the halti?

If your looking at just lead and collar then you could try changing direction every time he pulls ahead of you and when he gets next to you turn around again and walk the direction you was. If he pulls you right out f the front door, go back inside and put him into a sit and stay and you walk out first and invite him out. If he pulls as soon as you get out go back in and do the same again. It will take a long time and may seem like it takes forever just to get outside the front door but its worth it as he should get the idea soon enough and when he does you should see it taking less time to get outside and he will slowly get better if you remain strong and consistant. Reward him when he is doing well and ignore him if he does wrong, just go back and try again until you get te results you want.

Thanks i have given up with halti and am trying the change in direction thing seems ok, he is much better actually perfect when he is on his own, in and out of the house is fine he is really good, just as soon as we start walking he just gets stronger and lower lol! Will keep trying i know we can do it lol;)

i would get yourself some gloves to protect your hands. i have a short training lead with really soft suede leather handle which is much better for your hands.

at puppy class they encourage that type of walking by having a treat in your hand and 'tempting' them and then when they walk as you want they get rewarded. Storm can do it perfectly in that situation but i dont practice out of that environment. Puppy/dog classes have been really supportive and helpful for me and storm.

good luck

awwww i hope he gets better, i've been teaching my boys walk on and stop. and it's getting really good. doof even understands 'around' but ozzy doesnt!!!! lol not used treats or anything, it tries your patience trust me!!!

i know when they get near all the other dogs they'll revert back to pulling like trains tho coz of all the excitement!!!

Do you mean you were walking him on the halti with the retractable lead? If so then please don't do this, haltis are designed for shorter leads.

Personally I wouldn't walk him on a retractable lead if you are trying to correct his pulling, you need to get a 3 or 4ft lead and keep him close to you and work on it before introducing the flexi lead again.

Changing the direction as said above is meant to work well.

He will get used to the halti after a while, just distract him etc as soon as you put it on. Also when using a flexi lead you need to use a harness as it can hurt his neck if it is on a collar.

Sarah