Do you limit your Husky's water?

Hock

The reason I ask is that recently i've been giving Kaien as much as water as he'll drink but then in response makes him pee literally like every 30 mins to an hr compared to him pooing maybe every 3-4 hrs if hes awake and running about. He'll play for about 15-30 mins, then get a drink, repeat. Will his need for water slow down or should I be limiting his water intake?

I do actually, she doesnt drink much anyway due to her diet, she'll maybe have a drink 3 times a day... unless shes been playin with buster when she'll have more. But if she's taking a big drink i do pull her away after a few good gulps, because she gags on it lol. She has no access to it at night, and can only have a few little laps within the hour before we go to bed, so she doesnt need to pee in the night, because we're both heavy sleepers, and even with her in our room we probably wouldnt wake up.

I feed raw, which naturally has water in it anway but if you feed kibble then water should be avaliable all the time, tho saying that when kira was on kibble it was still limited before bed. And with both diets she hasnt had access to water at night, tho that'll change in the summer.

Grey has water left out 24/7 smile.gif but he does like a fresh cold top up when he gets in from walks tho.

I have heard of some owners to limit there pups drinking water befor bed as not to pee indoors or in the crate but I would suggest maybe giving small amounts of water at night time befor bed and put ice cubes in the water bowl to slowly melt during the night so that if pup gets thirsty it has water to drink but not to much if you get what I mean...???? x x x x x

Just an Idea....wink.gif x x x x

I limit my pups drinking water. I mainly do this because I have to go to work for 8 hours a day. There is someone at home that can take him for a walk but that person can be gone for 4 hours at a time... didnt want poor kino to be in pain from a full bladder. And he would be in pain becaue he will not pee at all... even if he has to in his cage. If you are going to limit water you should let them drink their fill 6 times a day. and if sick they should drink as much as they want. Ill admit... Kino doesnt always get the 6 times.

We also dont give kino water within 2 hours before bed.

We limited Pongo's water only at night when he was a younger pup. We would stop water intake around 8pm just to prevent an accident over night. During the day we let him drink as much as he could since he had the runs and we wanted to keep him hydrated. Now that he's 8 months, he drinks when he pleases.

A good thing to do if you want to limit the intake is to give ice cubes. it takes them longer to get through them than watersmile.gif

We limited Pongo's water only at night when he was a younger pup. We would stop water intake around 8pm just to prevent an accident over night. During the day we let him drink as much as he could since he had the runs and we wanted to keep him hydrated. Now that he's 8 months, he drinks when he pleases.

A good thing to do if you want to limit the intake is to give ice cubes. it takes them longer to get through them than watersmile.gif

aww thanks smile.gif x x x x

We've never limited water. In fact, we aim to get ours to drink as much as possible to make sure they are well hydrated for working.

Limiting it can also put your dog at risk of urine infections and renal/bladder stones. Wouldn't recommend it.

If your pup peeing in the night is an issue, consider more toilet trips: Last thing at night, how ever many wakes during the night are needed for him to pee outside (lots of praise for success remember!) and early-rising. Just like a babies nappy-changes, you need to fit your routine round your pup till him and his bladder are mature enough to go through the night, not the other way round ;)