please any advice greatly appreciated!

I have a 5 month old male husky. I am really struggling with him toilet training, when we are at home and the back door is open he will go straight outside to goto the toilet however if the door is shut he will not wait and just goes on the floor. Also during the night he will not hold it in, i have tried settling my alarm every couple of hours but i feel i am killing myself and getting no where! He doesnt sleep in a crate, i have a utility room on the back of my house where he sleeps. Please help me out guys, i love this dog so much but im not sure i can stand this problem much longer! My boyfriend has Codys sister and he is also having the same problems. thanks in advance

embry was terrible with potty training, still is. i know my reason is because he has water available 24/7 so his bladder control is very poor. also i talked to someone who got a dog from the litter after mine and he was having a nightmare potty training his girl as well.

my 6 month old girl is the same - keep gettin up thru the night whilst u feel ur not getting anyway u will get there in the long run - my girl can only seem 2 hold her bladder for about 3 hours b4 she HAS 2 go then she will pee on the floor - have u thought about crate training most sibes see their crates as a safe place and wont want 2 pee in there - also u cud try limiting water - if u know ur going out take the water up an hour b4 u leave (so long as ur not gonna b gone for AGES) and make sure he goes 2 pee before u go out - this SHOULD help - good luck - keep us posted on how u get on

oh what do u do when he pees outside?? do u praise him and give him lots ov fuss and a treat?? - what do u do when he pees inside - do u ignore it - dont let him see u cleaning it up as he will feel he has pleased you because ur 'playing' with it - their mum wud have cleaned up after them so they wont no any better yet - specially if they see u clean it up

i take away his water about 9pm and he always goes out before i goto bed. i used to have a crate when i first got him but he was forever pooping in it and her had terrible runs for a long time til we realised he cant have dry food as it gives him the runs so while he was in his crate he was jumping about in it and i got fed up of constantly cleaning the cage and bathing him. now i dont have the room for it either. when he goes toilet outside i always praise him and make a fuss, when he does it in the house i point at it and tell him 'no naughty boy' he sulks off and knows he has done wrong however i didnt know about not letting him see me clean it up. i work during the day, i usually leave the house at 8am and get home for 2pm, my friend has an akita - she works the same hours and her dog is totally clean day and night. im desperate to break this habit.

Kira is nearly 5 months and has just gone through her first night biggrin.gif. I had to get up every few hours but it seems to be working, i use to go out with her every hour and praised her when she did something (I take up the water 30 minutes before bedtime) and always made sure she did a poo and a wee before bed and as soon as we got up. She's getting there 41.gif hopefully!

i made a point of taking echo outside once every 2 hours pointed to the floor and said wee wees then would leave her there till she did her job. close the door behind you and wait for your boy to jump up at your back door or scratch at the door before you open it he will soon realize that if he scratches or jumps up at door that it opens, then he should start to do it to go out. lots and lots of fuss and loving or treats when he does go outside and if he does do it inside just ignore it but put him outside while you clear it. good luck and stick with him just sounds like he needs a bit more time and training spent on him. He will be a lovely trained bot before you know it.:D

my husky is 3.5 months old, he is tiolet trained, thou i reckon it was a fluke, he just clicked on and stopped doing it in the house.

thou what i did do, is, treat him heaps for doing it outside, and if i caught him doing it inside. i wasn't overly mean

but i would tell him outside and put him out for 5min

I had some trouble with Pongo when he was a pup also. Sometimes I just seemed like he was peeing to spite us for awhile. What we did was try to catch him in the act and pick up his rear end (he would stop peeing) and say "no! Outside" in a firm voice and took him directly outside. After he went outside we would praise him and give a treat. After awhile he got it. It seemed like he had a very small bladder as well and I ended up taking him outside every couple of hours just to be sure he wouldn't go in the house. It got LOADS better around 7-8 months. Just be patient and keep up with the training and some day you will have a wonderfully well-behaved dog. biggrin.gif

To make us all feel frustrated, on a side note, my mom just recently got a toy poodle and she was trained in 2 days! Day 2 rolled around and she went to the back door and barked... such a pushover dog that wants to pleasetongue.gif

my boyfriends mum has a toy poodle too and he was completely clean in no time at all! i have heard that huskys are hard to get clean, harder than ur normal everyday dog. thanks guys i'll stick with it and hopefully he'll grow out of it soon! :)