Problem with freaking out

Lately Pongo has decided that he wants to freak out when we're on a walk. What he does instead of listening when we say sit is jump up on us, bit the leash, bite us and refuse to listen. It usually only lasts a few minutes and then he calms down. Today, however, he would not pull out of it and we only made it 4 houses down the street. So I had to drag him back to the house with him jumping around like a maniac and take him inside. The only thing that seems to work is making him lay down on his back in a submissive position. Is it possible he's pushing things to try to take charge? I don't understand why all of a sudden he is doing this, he's normally so well-behaved! We do tons of obedience training and are in a more advanced class now and we take him on 2 mile+ walks every day. Any suggestions?

No it's never in the same place. It's just out of nowhere or sometimes when I decide to do some training practice with sits and heels he does this. he won't even sit when he gets in this mode. I'm wondering if part of the problem is his prong collar is too small for him now and he can't feel it anymore with all his hair. We have a medium size right now, maybe we need to try a large? He listens so well with that collar on usually, it just seems lately he acts like he can't even feel our corrections.dry.gif

i will try to take treats with me next walk and see how that goes... i want to control this now before it gets outta hand. any other suggestions?