Dog back pack???

Hey peeps......

so we are thinking of getting Shiloh a back pack so we can out some light weights inside so he will work more when out on his walk- Ian did get a pair of roller blades so he could do what Ceaser Milan does but has since had second thoughts lmao laugh.gif

we have seen one by options which looks good but was wondering what age would he be okay to start wearing it?? we dont want him to wear it too soon incase it damages his bones or summat lol

has anyone already got one of these??

sorry so many questions lol

Tami x x

I have one for Loki, we got it when he was about one and to be honest I don't think I would have started him wearing it much before then.

I suppose it depends on your pup, you could probably get away with very light loads a little sooner - but you have to be careful they don't get too hot with it on.

You also need to make sure that you balance the bag properly, not more on one side etc.

We have the one with water bottles on the sides so we would try to take the same amount out of each when we gave them water.

Pics are a must if you go out with the roller blades! biggrin.gif

well the roller blades went back lol i knew they would! hes a rite freak sometimes...he would have never lived it down if he was caught by his mates out with shiloh on roller blades.....but.....he got a bike instead so dont worry pics will follow as soon as he goes out with him!! wink.gif

they sell them everywhere huni...i typed it into google and loads of sites came up...the one we are getting is by Options...its £15.99 over here from Pets at Home...i dont know if they will post to the states though? have a look on google and see what you can find...you mite be able to get one cheaper over there x x x x

hi we got 1 of these for max,

we started using it at 6 months old with nothing in it for him to get used to it

then we added 2 small cola bottles half full of water at 7 months, and slowly added to it as the months went on

he is now using it with a brick in each side but we only use it in winter as it does tend to make him really hot

oh and i thought roller blades were a really good idea also but sadly still have the scars to prove otherwise lol laugh.gif

LOL!!! I have a backpack that a got from PAH for both Kiara and Orlando and usually put a 500ml bottle of water in each. They are good. Ive been contemplating trying heelys out instead of roller blades as they are half trainer half roller blade so prob a bit safer, even though already use a rig and bike, lol..

xx

OMG, i was gunna do a thread on this after seein them at Pets At Home at the wkend, thought bout gettin 1 ...... BUT...... dont they get 2 hot? Apart from them costin £50 (already had spent £120 oooopppssss) just worried its not good for them so def more info peeps cos it would b perfect 4 our walks.......... water, travel bowl , treats n the most important money 4 the pub at the end :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a backpack for Dante since he was 8 months old. I usually put a water bottle on each side to help wear him out when we go on walks. Also, it helps that he can carry his own water if we go on a long walk to our local dog park.

Here he was at the Paws on the Path hiking event that the Humane Society hosts. The backpack I got for him is on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/MEDIUM-Outward-Hound-Quick-Release-Backpack/dp/B000MKDLTK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1271100205&sr=8-7

There are some with better reviews, but this one is the only one that the local pet store carried (I paid almost $60 for mine, that's what I get for not shopping around) It has worked well for us so far though with semi-regular use.

HikingMeetup1_MG001_sized.jpg

I don't know if Dante will get much bigger or not, or if having him carry a backpack is bad for him at this point. I hope I haven't hurt him by using it. I try to keep it light (about 2lbs total) I'm not sure what his current weight is, but he was around 53lbs when I started using the backpack.