TPLO Surgery Crate Advice/Tips

samovrbrd

Hi everyone! My 7yr old husky, Ein, is getting TPLO surgery next Thursday! I figured this would be the best place to ask and get some tips/advice from anyone who went through this recovery. 

I know recovery is gonna be tough, so I want to be sure I’m handling it the best I can. I’m torn between getting a crate, a large pen, or just keeping her out in the open in a small area (almost the size where a full size bed can fit and still have extra room). What did you guys use? I’m worried about her attempting to jump. You know huskies, they are very energetic. My pup is somewhat calm but she can hype herself up a lot. She will be going home with sedatives, not sure yet but probably Traz. 

Someone will be at home most of the days with her, so I figured a pen is good. They work remotely so they would occasionally check on her and take her out. But there is also 1 day out of the week where that person will be gone at 3PM and no one will be home till 5PM. 

Any tips on the crate or restricted area would be great. Anything else is appreciated! What ever you guys did to make the recovery process smooth. 

Also wanna add that she will be using a cone! And the biggest crate I can find is 48inch right now. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2023 at 1:20 AM, samovrbrd said:

Hi everyone! My 7yr old husky, Ein, is getting TPLO surgery next Thursday! I figured this would be the best place to ask and get some tips/advice from anyone who went through this recovery. 

I know recovery is gonna be tough, so I want to be sure I’m handling it the best I can. I’m torn between getting a crate, a large pen, or just keeping her out in the open in a small area (almost the size where a full size bed can fit and still have extra room). What did you guys use? I’m worried about her attempting to jump. You know huskies, they are very energetic. My pup is somewhat calm but she can hype herself up a lot. She will be going home with sedatives, not sure yet but probably Traz. 

Someone will be at home most of the days with her, so I figured a pen is good. They work remotely so they would occasionally check on her and take her out. But there is also 1 day out of the week where that person will be gone at 3PM and no one will be home till 5PM. 

Any tips on the crate or restricted area would be great. Anything else is appreciated! What ever you guys did to make the recovery process smooth. 

Also wanna add that she will be using a cone! And the biggest crate I can find is 48inch right now. 

hi there, it's great that you're being proactive in planning for her recovery. i think crating can be a good option to restrict movement, especially when you're not at home. since huskies are energetic, and post-surgery, they still need mental stimulation to stay content. also, just wanted to share that the surgery was quick, and the recovery took months but it was worth it since she's back in good shape and was able to play a lot again seeing from my mom's dog who had her TPLO surgery a few years back!! hope everything goes well with your dog! ❤️

I don't think anyone on here has gone through this.    The nearest to it that I have experienced is that one of my boys completely ripped apart the muscle from his groin to his knee.    I found it impossible to stop him jumping  (his nickname at home is Zebedee - magic roundabout)  I could not crate him as he panicked so badly he damaged himself inside the crate and the vet took him out again.    In consequence it took him nearly 9 months to heal.   However we are both retired so were home with him 24/7.

Personally if your girl will tolerate a crate for those times when needed  - I would use it.