How to groom a dog who doesn't blow tight coat

One of my boys is a woolly, and he did not blow his coat for over 2  years  - it was a nightmare  -  new undercoat fur growing in and getting thicker and thicker but just not blowing his old coat.      Nothing I tried would work - and he got to the stage when he saw me with a rake in my hand - he ran  - and he is much quicker than I am.

Then one day when he was having a bath - it just started coming out  - with the blaster dryer on him I got around 80% of it out without using the rake - the neighbours were not happy as it was breezy and his fur was like a blizzard all over their gardens.    I have no idea why he suddenly let go of it  - wish I did as he has not shed for the last 12 months (again) but on the next nice day he is having another bath - just in case.

was going to say the same thing ... wash and then use a water blower, if our Alpha is not blowing i use the blower after a heavy rainy day and then it starts and will not stop for a while...

what does a blower look like...-> 119700263_waterblower.thumb.jpg.eb9602618420e2aca24ab1674c451587.jpg