Advice with potty training a Siberian Husky Pup

We adopted a Husky pup (12 weeks old) three days ago and would like some advice with toilet training.

She is very reluctant to poo outside. I've spent the last two days sitting with her outside but she seems to have amazing capability to hold it in. She has pooped outside a few times but despite my company she seems very reluctant.

I wonder if its the smell of other animals in the garden makes her feel unsafe? There is a fox and a neighbouring dog that have probably left their marks there.

When she pooped inside I carry her out but I don't want to shout at her in case she stops trusting me. Am I being too soft?

Best advice… patience patience ( not for sale in the supermarket) and praises, lots of it, when she does it outside. And the not shouting is not being soft the old way of rubbing her nose in it does not work at all….

• Like 1

Agree with robke  - patience, praise - and repetition.     Take outside after every meal and stay there until she does something,  then praise and also give a high level treat.   I got Marley at 12 weeks old - and it still took another 4 weeks before he got the message.   I think it depends a LOT on whether the pup was still with the mother up until you got her.   Marley was taken too early  (around 5 weeks we think)  - I was his 4th owner by the time he came to me at 12 weeks old.

• Like 1