1 year old Husky losing tail hair

Hello, 

Our one year old Siberian Husky has been losing tail over of the last 3 months. One morning we noticed chunks of hair gone so we figured he bit it out. He had a beautiful fluffy tail and it hasn't grown back. We went to a dermatologist and she believes its Alopecia X (also known as Coat Funk and Black Skin Disease) because there are no signs of guard hairs growing back. Wer'e also noticing some chunks on the back right leg now. 

Quick notes and facts

• Flea and ringworm test negative
  • Food allergy test negative (although I hear rumor tests are not effective before first year of life)
  • Thyroid tests normal, haven't checked for Cushing since no symptoms and too young
  • Doesn't seem itchy and we don't catch him biting (put camera on him at night)
  • He does lick his paws a decent amount, but not all the time
  • Got him neutered 3 weeks ago (sometimes reverses Alopecia X)
  • Dermatologist prescribed Melatonin for Alopecia X (incase it is that) for 3 month
  • No skin biopsy yet , waiting until 3 months of melatonin is up
  • We do provide zinc, ocean kelp, and omega oils with his meals
  • Food was Orijin Puppy and moved to Acana Chicken and Rice (Vet wanted him on grains)
  • Never really blew his coat this year in the first year of life. I brush him every day now. 

Pictures attached (plus one of his cute face to get ya motivated haha).  I understand it could be Alopecia, but I also know there are different types of Alopecia. 

Environmental allergies? Should we try a different food? Try shampoo or bathing more?

Any thoughts would be helpful and would love to hear of any similar experiences with a young Siberian Husky.

Appreciate your time. 

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

It sounds as if you have done some research already  - as you have covered the 'usual suspects' for loss of condition on the tail.    However with you mentioning paw licking makes me think of environmental allergies   (assume it is not just boredom)  This link may give you some ideas    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/allergy-relief-for-dogs-top-ten-remedies/

18 hours ago, Guiseppi M said:

Thank you @wolfpup these are some good ideas

Just a strange question  -  I would think that your girls toenails should be white   -  if so  can you see any  reddish darkening in the nails?     If so  - she could have a food allergy  - which could easily show itself in her fur.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/natures-benadryl-quercetin/?utm_source=klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Content%3A Quercetin %2B Lifelong Immunity - May 16 (SCaN29)&_ke=eyJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIkM0WXlWOSIsICJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJjaHJpc3NpZTEyM0BidGludGVybmV0LmNvbSJ9

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/5-signs-your-dog-has-food-allergies/

Just covering the bases.