Undescended testicle - 7 months

Amy Wood

Hi guys, I’m just wondering if you could help me decide when to neuter my pup. He’s 7 months old, and one testicle hasn’t dropped yet. There is so much conflicting information on the internet about whether to do it now or wait longer. The vet has suggested to neuter him around 8-9 months. The higher risk of cancer certainly makes me think to do it now, but I don’t want to cause him any problems later! Any advice or more information would be great! 

we waited til ours was 18 months old (advise from our vet, different countries different views) and yes it was advised to us to have it done cause the undescended testicle can be the cause of cancer at a later stage.

My advice is to wait as long as you can  -  but particularly until your dog has finished growing.    De-sexing stops the sex hormones  - (obviously)  however these are used by the growing pup to form bones and ligaments  - and early spaying is now thought to be a major factor in dogs with things like cruciate ligament problems, hip and knee dysplasia etc.     

If you could hang on to 18 months fantastic  - but at least wait until 14months old.

Archived