Bringing a pup into house with 2 adult cats?

bgal2012

Hello! We just bought a house and we're looking to add a dog to the family. There are a couple Siberian Husky puppies (9 weeks old) we're thinking about getting (one of them... not both!).

Neither my husband or I have ever had a husky. We have 2 boys (10 and 15) and 2 adult cats. I've been reading "guides" and tips online about huskies and cats and it kinda seems like it'd be ok with certain conditions (training the dog ofc, cats having a place to run to for peace/safety, etc). But most of that seems to be about bringing a husky dog in... not a young pup and raising it around the cats.

So I literally just registered here to get input from experienced Siberian-Husky'ers :)

Also, does anyone recommend Petsmart training classes or any other particular ones that you've had a good experience with?

Last bit first   - you do not say where you are from  -  even a country would help  - we are from all over the world here.

As to bringing a pup in with cats  - I can only speak from my own experience.   I bought a 12 week old rescued husky pup into a house with another dog and two cats  -  to start with like all puppies he chased them and wanted to play.     This was corrected  (gently) and he learned (eventually) they were not his toys, but friends he shared this house with.     I should say that both my cats were used to living with dogs  -  I had one 'runner' (now gone over the bridge) and one that does not run - but goes into super slow-motion walking  - thus not triggering any sort of prey-chase-drive.

He is now 4.5 years old  - never gone for the cat, they will even groom each other on rare occasions  -   however life changed dramatically when we adopted another (adult)  rescue last year  -  now that cat will not even come downstairs  -  the new dog will kill him  -  and the cat knows it.   With a puppy you have the chance of teaching him to accept, get on with - and possibly even like each other   -  its a different story with an adult dog.

• 1 year later...

I bought real estate with a lot of trash, and it was some years ago. It was cheaper than I thought, and it all was with their help https://www.boutiquehomeplans.com/. In fact, my goal was to buy something cheaper because I didn't raise enough money for something bigger than I dreamed about. But with their aid, I found what I want but with some mess. It wasn't a problem because I love to clean my house, especially when it's my dream house. I don't see a problem buying a house like this. You need to make just a little repair, and that's all.