Separation Anxiety

Lucy Lu

Hi All, We are the proud new owners of a beautiful husky. We are so fortunate to have found a year old girl that has a good start on training. However the one area we are working on is being on the lease for walks but my husband and I are both retired and have the time and patience to work with her.  My only concern is we have only had her for about 5 days and we have not left her alone at all. We want her to be completely conformable with her new surroundings. But this morning it dawned on me that we may be spoiling her a bit. We may be retired but we are a very social couple and go out multiple time a week. Now that she lives with us she is completely an indoor pup. We don't have a crate and I really don't want to put her in a crate if we don't have too. Any suggestions on how to help her though the adjustment of being left alone for a few hours at a time? 

IMG_1011.jpg

Hi, she’s very pretty. If she starts to develop separation anxiety I would start by leaving her for 5 minutes, going out thru the front door, returning 5 mins later, no fuss on leaving and none on your return, do this multiple times in the day and gradually building on the time you leave her. Give her a toy to play with when you’re leaving, I would also restrict access to the rooms in your house, safety gates work well. Destructive behaviour is common with separation anxiety and huskies are experts at chewing and digging. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Same as Janine says, we do give a command “watch the house” and give a small threat and when we come back we say “watched the house for us” and a small treat then. We also leave the tv or radio on softly in the background...

We have dog gates and child gates so when we are out they are restricted to one or two rooms  -  Marley has always had free reign in the house as he can be trusted with our cat  - not so with Mikey so unfortunately Marley's movements are restricted to downstairs when we go out.   We started with only giving them access to the kitchen and hallway, then added in the lounge when we felt we could trust Mikey with the furniture  (new addition about 6 months ago  -  he is 3.5 years old - about 6 months younger than Marley).

Archived