Crate Train Location

haha i did this with Shiloh...worst mistake ever for us!! he wouldnt stop howling as he knew we was in the same room...but sayin that he was the same when we left it downstairs aswell....in the end i gave him one of my old t shirts to sleep with and he's been fine ever since...sleeps downstairs in his crate now :)

i think the reason he was like this was coz he wasnt used to being in his crate..he didnt use one when he was with his mum..we picked him up on a Fri night so it was all abit hectic for about a week...once he was used to being in his crate it did get better..he now goes in it on command...if you havent already done so though i would put something in his crate that smells of you as it did seem to help with Shiloh

x x x x

personal opinion on this would be - your setting yourself up for problems if you do it this way - but i'm no expert.

My reasons.......

When i brought Kimba home, he was the only dog (Kaiser came later) I let him explore the house learn where his water was etc and his crate had toys and an old top of mine along with a blanket with his mum's scent on. He went in and out of his crate all the time and eventually he lay in it, i closed the door but stayed in the room. Did this later then left the room but went straight back, kept doing this and slowly increased the time he was left alone. Each time i left him, I made no fuss but when i let him back out he got a treat and a fuss.

Now, having said that, the first couple of night he screamed the place down but i ignored him and a week later no more screaming :D I think if he'd have been in my room and THEN got his crate moved it'd just unsettle him and put you back to square one.

That said, it's just how I did it and what works for one may not work for another :)