conflicting info on permits

I have always been led to believe that I don't need a permit to run on a scooter or bike anywhere...

But...

At the rally last saturday me and Chez were told to train at Thetford or Rendlesham, but were told that we did need a permit from the forestry commission to use a scooter....

Does anyone know the truth??

Guest snowdog

me and sarah discussed this in a post a couple of days ago, and yes in some forrests you do need a permit from the forestry commision , for a rig, but NOT! for a scooter, if using a rig you will need PUBLIC liability insurance also,(of at least 1 million pounds (2 preferably), also normal dog insurance will not cover them unless you have stated you intend to run them!

also can i point out about the dogs that shud be pulling scooters n rigs, should be in tip top shape, and also not under 1 yr of age, but preferably 18-24 mnths .The bones are still growing and any excessive excersise can have a an undesirable effect on their bones at a later stage in life!

yea im aware of that, thanks jane :)

Kiras 13 months now and if you can run dogs at 1 year during race season im sure kira will be fine doing it for fun :)

I will join up to SHCGB at some point but atm i cant afford it :(

Guest snowdog

good advice, Jane, there may be some new members who are not sure about the do' & don'ts so this will help them out, +1 biggrin.gif

thankyou Val thats what i thought, think sumtimes we forget that although we are aware of things, its good to put further info. for newer mambers who may not

know the full facts, thankyou for +1 biggrin.gif

thankyou Val thats what i thought, think sumtimes we forget that although we are aware of things, its good to put further info. for newer mambers who may not

know the full facts, thankyou for +1 :D

that's it exactly, Jane, we have so much info on here, it can get a little confusing for new members until they get used to the forum, so to drop in these things in newer threads can only help (and remind old, forgetful beggars like me! :lol: )

Oh, and you're welcome :D

I have always been led to believe that I don't need a permit to run on a scooter or bike anywhere...

But...

At the rally last saturday me and Chez were told to train at Thetford or Rendlesham, but were told that we did need a permit from the forestry commission to use a scooter....

Does anyone know the truth??

Sid, who was it that gave you that info? Was it someone running their dogs? Could you get in contact with them again? alternatively, call the forestry commission & get the details of where you do & don't need it from them - I don't & won't be running mine, so I don't know, I'm afraid ...

You need a permit to run a dog with a bike/ rig as they will be pulling it but if you have the dog @ the side on a springer i don't think you need a permit. Don't think you need a permit to use a scooter in thetford but i would ring the forestry & check for sure.

if using a rig you will need PUBLIC liability insurance also,(of at least 1 million pounds (2 preferably), also normal dog insurance will not cover them unless you have stated you intend to run them!

thankyou, makes my other post in the other thread look bit stupid nowrolleyes.gif

anyway cheers jane.smile.gif