Male problem!

I feel really bad about this as only noticed last night that Gizmo's 'balls' haven't dropped completely (poor boy only has one!).

When Gizmo was about 8 months he had an adolesence health check and Im 90% sure she checked them and said they were fine but I may have mis-interpreted what she said, which makes me feel even worse!

If she did say they were fine, which they obviously are not ok, would she have recorded it into Gizmo's file? And, if she did say that, what rights do we have as she has obviously told me its fine when it aint!

We was going to get him neutured anyway so it's not too bad on that side of things (as in we were not going to breed from him) but know if they have to operate on Gizmo to get it out of him then the castration is going to cost more than what it would if his had dropped.

Ice was the same.

He had both of his when he was about 8 month old .....vet checked them and so did i ( i do this often with my males lol not a nice thing to do but hey lol)

Anywhooo.....when he was about 13 month old i noticed one had disappeared back up.

When i spoke to the vet and other husky owners i was told that it does happen sometimes so dont feel bad.

it may just be one of those things like Ice

Speak to the vet and see what they say about it and get them to feel in his abdomen to see if it is there or further up.

Hey we cant check everything on them all the time can we :S lol

The castration was a little more expensive but well worth it as the doodle that disapeared was deformed.

The further up into the abdomen the doodle is the more expensive the operation as they have to go look for it.

They can move up and down, i read somewhere that huskies can "pull them up" to keep them warmer when they're in the snow.

I wouldn't worry that you hadn't picked it up, if the vet had detected anything they would have recorded it on his file. You should be able to give them a ring and they might be able to let you know over the phone?

Ive just spoke to vets and they said that it may not have desended down properly which would mean catration with a small incision but I have booked him an appoinment to see the vet tomorrow morning just to see wheather he has just 'popped' one of his 'balls' up for warmth or if it hasn't fully dropped.

Will let you all know either tomorrow or monday

Micha had cryptorchidism too - just one testicle was un-descended. I wanted to show him so I waited until he was 12 months before desexing him, just in case it dropped late... but it never did so I had him desexed. His testicle was in his abdomen (very common) which means the procedure was more complicated than a normal male desexing.

The vet should be able to feel for the testicle and estimate where it is, but the dog needs to be desexed as leaving him entire with one testicle un-descended means they are very likely to get testicular cancer.

Here's a link about cryptorchidism:

http://mens-health.health-cares.net/cryptorchidism.php

extending on this subject, I have now found out that Jamie still wanted to stud Gizmo - thats already sorted as I basically said 'NO!!!!!' to him. The problem is now Jamie and his mum wants to put a complaint in about the vet that done the adolescent check when Gizmo was about 8 months old as she said he was fine. Personally I would rather just have him catrated and be done with it than farting about complaining. They have said that as it's the vets fault, we shouldn't have to pay for the castation.

extending on this subject, I have now found out that Jamie still wanted to stud Gizmo - thats already sorted as I basically said 'NO!!!!!' to him. The problem is now Jamie and his mum wants to put a complaint in about the vet that done the adolescent check when Gizmo was about 8 months old as she said he was fine. Personally I would rather just have him catrated and be done with it than farting about complaining. They have said that as it's the vets fault, we shouldn't have to pay for the castation.

No reputable breeder would touch a dog that has an undescended testicle and they would be incredibly unethical if they did - it's the reason I had to desex Micha.

Maybe Jamie and his mum don't understand that the dog has 90% likelhood to develop testicular cancer, because he has an undescended testicle?

If the vet had noticed he had an undescended testicle at 8 months she would have recommended desexing him anyway, and you would have had to pay for it then. The health of the dog hasn't decreased since then due to this issue, and you haven't had to pay any more money to desex him then you would have four months ago. Like I said - our vet recommended waiting until he was 12 months just in case it dropped and it didn't. There is no way you will be able to get the desexing done for free.

Thanks, smeagle. Thats what I thought. My mums dog (Rusty) had the same problem.

When I spoe to the vet yesterday (different to who done the first check) said the first time, she may have checked but not properly or she would have noticed he only had one testicle but I may have mis-interpreted what she said.

Thanks, smeagle. Thats what I thought. My mums dog (Rusty) had the same problem.

When I spoe to the vet yesterday (different to who done the first check) said the first time, she may have checked but not properly or she would have noticed he only had one testicle but I may have mis-interpreted what she said.

Quite likely - I'm sure most of us have had run ins with incompetent vets, or vets that have opinions different to our own.

I don't believe in yearly vaccination once a dog is of a certain age, an issue many vets are divided on. My vet is great on everything but the subject of vaccination (one of the vets there agrees with me, and the other vet is a bit more old fashioned).

A Sibe's coat also makes it harder for vets to do a quick 'once over' - not that it should be any excuse but it happens often. I even had an incident at the grooming salon where one of the groomers put a pink ribbon in Micha's hair because they thought he was a girl!!!! purely because his coat makes it hard to see 'down there'. The testicle could also have been semi-descended and then retracted like other posters pointed out.