Puppy Agression

King

Hi everyone, I've been having this problem for my Husky at certain moments in my short time with him and I'm starting to get worried about it. King has started growling at me and the other two puppies (they are yorkies) in the house when eating treats or playing with toys. I first noticed this when he was about 3 months old and he would attempt to eat the other puppies food. The first time he ever growled and snapped at me was when I attempted to take him away from the food. This happened twice until I stopped allowing him to even go near their bowls. Now, for the past two weeks or so (he's 4 months now) I've noticed when the other pups try to play with his toys he will go snatch it up and run away and maybe let out a growl or two. He never really bites them and when he does its almost a nibble as if he's trying to teach them a lesson. Today, once I finished some training with him I rewarded him with a pig ear in his cage. Once I put it in his cage and he started feasting on it I let the other pups out ( cage was open ). As soon as they came within a couple feet of him and the pig ear he began violently growling at them and I believe if it weren't for the cage he would've seriously bit one of them. After this I was so nervous I didn't know what to do so I locked him up with the pig ear in the cage and anytime the pups went anywhere near the cage he would begin barking and biting at them through the cage extremely aggressively. This is something I haven't seen him do before and I'm seriously worried.

So the name for this behavior is "resource guarding". 

For resource-guarding from humans, there are training techniques such as dropping a delicious tidbit whenever you are near his bowl, feeding him pieces of kibble by hand, etc. The point is to teach the dog that you are not going to take his food and in fact, you are going to put something tasty on top and you are the Giver of food, not a taker!

For resource-guarding from other dogs, that is trickier...I think most people wind up feeding their dogs in their crates, or in separate rooms? 

I don't know a huge amount about it, because my dog is not a resource-guarder...but maybe somebody else has actual experience.

If you have young children that might mess with him when he's eating, I'd be careful!
I would then always feed him in crate with door closed...or get advice from a professional dog trainer on handling his behavior. 

Archived