1st Time Husky Owner!

Jamie-Lynn

Hi, I'm Jamie, we just adopted a Husky/Wolf mix. He's about 18 months old, we believe he is deaf. I'm hoping to learn how to efficiently start training with him. I've taught hand commands to my previous dogs but not sure how to go about it with a pup thats deaf. 

IMG_20180625_224206_600.jpg

Welcome to Husky owners.

My elderly lady went deaf and whilst it’s not exactly the same situation, there will be some similarities.

Focus on being able to gain your pups attention. And use different hand signals for the things you want. When they do it, give them a thumbs up and reward with a small piece of a high value treat. It’s similar to teaching a hearing dog in the respect that initially vocal commands mean nothing to a pup either, it just builds up a meaning over time. The harder bit I would imagine for a pup would be gaining their attention as they tend to be all over the place, lol. It was easier with Brooke being a senior dog in that respect.

There is a section on the AKC website somewhere that talks about the topic of training deaf dogs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

@Jamie-Lynn ~
[emoji252][emoji252][emoji252] WELCOME ABOARD [emoji252][emoji252][emoji252]
Your precious baby is handsome & stunning!![emoji169] I commend you for adopting/rescuing and such a beautiful special needs dog.@Emma gave very good advice.
Dogs are so smart...smarter than we are!! They all depend on our "facial expressions" and "body language" even when they can hear. They know when we are happy, sad, don't feel good, all by our expressions.[emoji4]
Since he is 18 months, he will catch on to your hand signals.[emoji870]️ His other senses will kick in...even vibrations through his paws like thunder, etc. (He already knows more than you may think.)
(Our former dog APOLLO was age 13 when he went deaf. We didn't have to use hand signals because he was so good at reading our lips.[emoji182] But I would still use them anyway. If I wanted him to come, I would wave my hand toward my chest.)
Dogs are amazingly clever!! You can teach him the proper professional sign language or you can use your own style. (Remember to also "talk" while you use hand signals. He'll watch hand signals but also be reading your lips. (That way, if you would have to board him at a kennel, others can communicate with him while you're gone.) You & your dog will figure out a good system that works for both of you.
I looked up a website to help. It also shows a video with examples to train your baby.
Don't forget to give him lots of love, hugs & tummy rubs!![emoji173]️ You will do just fine, and so will he.
What's his name??
Hope all of this is helpful!![emoji169][emoji191][emoji252][emoji870]️[emoji4][emoji173]️
#DeafDogsRocks
https://deafdogsrock.com/beginning-sign-training

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

@Jamie-Lynn ~
[emoji252][emoji252][emoji252] WELCOME ABOARD [emoji252][emoji252][emoji252]
Your precious baby is handsome & stunning!![emoji169] I commend you for adopting/rescuing and such a beautiful special needs dog.[mention=6386]Emma[/mention] gave very good advice.
Dogs are so smart...smarter than we are!! They all depend on our "facial expressions" and "body language" even when they can hear. They know when we are happy, sad, don't feel good, all by our expressions.[emoji4]
Since he is 18 months, he will catch on to your hand signals.[emoji870]️ His other senses will kick in...even vibrations through his paws like thunder, etc. (He already knows more than you may think.)
(Our former dog APOLLO was age 13 when he went deaf. We didn't have to use hand signals because he was so good at reading our lips.[emoji182] But I would still use them anyway. If I wanted him to come, I would wave my hand toward my chest.)
Dogs are amazingly clever!! You can teach him the proper professional sign language or you can use your own style. (Remember to also "talk" while you use hand signals. He'll watch hand signals but also be reading your lips. (That way, if you would have to board him at a kennel, others can communicate with him while you're gone.) You & your dog will figure out a good system that works for both of you.
I looked up a website to help. It also shows a video with examples to train your baby.
Don't forget to give him lots of love, hugs & tummy rubs!![emoji173]️ You will do just fine, and so will he.
What's his name??
Hope all of this is helpful!![emoji169][emoji191][emoji252][emoji870]️[emoji4][emoji173]️
#DeafDogsRocks
https://deafdogsrock.com/beginning-sign-training

P.S. Here is the other half of significant importance with communicating with your dog:
Your dog will also communicate "with you." Watch[emoji102] his body language, his facial expressions and his tail, and other movements. He may be able to bark or howl for things he wants etc.
*If he is standing at the door, he probably needs to go potty. If he picks up a toy, he probably wants you to play with him. If he lays on his back, he probably wants a good tummy rub. He may sit right by you or lay on your feet where he wants pet or loved.
*Great eye contact with each other is significant.
You both will do great and have such an awesome bond.
Send photos...any time!!
Please let us know how you both are doing.
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji252][emoji171][emoji4]

I taught hand signals to Ava when she was a puppy and the hardest thing was as Emma says to get her attention. Since you're not new to hand signals, I don't think it would be hard - maybe with some extra time and lots of good treats. Good luck!

Archived