Just Got Spayed

ShyLoh

My 1.5 year old husky mix, Shiloh, just went to the vet on Thursday to get spayed. She also got a booster and rabies vaccine, and tick medication. She did really well and has been healing great. Her incision is perfect, no redness or swelling. She is itchy but the cone prevents her from licking or biting at it, so no issues there. However, we have encountered an issue with her attitude. She is normal with people, but now she is snapping and growling at the other dogs, including my newest pup Aura, whom was, just last week, her best friend. We are keeping all 3 of the other dogs away from her for right now because of this as I don't want her to hurt herself while she is still healing. But I was just curious if this was a new found behavioral issue or a discomfort issue. More will tell next week when she is allowed to move around more. 

Has anyone encountered this issue with their newly spayed dogs? Has anyone found that once their dog got spayed it changed her behaviour and made her more aggressive? Before thursday she was just fine. She is not just snapping at them when they come up to her either, it is whenever they get, or she goes within a few feet from the other dogs that she will go and try to snap at them. I am at a loss for words, as she was the sweetest dog, got along with all other dogs, now she can't even be near the dog that she was bonded to.  

Just my experience !

She feels  vulnerable  so she will act a little more  defensive. As she heals (feels better), she will go back to normal.

I have had the same issues with all mine that had any  surgeries and all have snapped out of it. 

She’s not doubt just feeling a bit sore as its only a few days since her op, and doesnt want to play with the other dogs, once she’s feeling better I’m sure she will be back to normal it wont take her long I’m sure then your challenge will be keeping her calm while the wound heals [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

normal behaviour to me...she is in a bit of discomfort to say the least...and does not want to be bothered by others, also protecting her wound...

Thanks for the replies! It is a relief to know that she will most likely snap out of it once she is healed. The past 2 days I have been taking her on short walks with the other 3 dogs and she has been good with them on the walks, but other then that she has still not had any contact with them. Her incision is healing great still and she is not as itchy as she was on the weekend. Acting more like herself. We are going to let her have short play times in the yard on the weekend with the other dogs, which will be about 10 days or so since her surgery. 

We were told at least 2/3 weeks keeping calm after surgery, the wound may look healed but they need to heal inside too, dont want to risk bursting internal stitches

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived