Potty training 1 year old husky

Delene

Hello fellow husky owners,

I have recently rescued a female husky when she was around 8 months old. She was kept in a small kennel where she was living in her own excrement. The owner would hose down the dog and the kennel (there is a small drain in the back of the kennel). So she had a horrible cough, embedded puppy collar and very nasty fur. Long story short, she is now no longer kept in a kennel and her fur is now shining. Though she still has scars from the collar.

I am trying to get her to go potty outside, which she does and I praise her when she does. But she cannot seem to understand that inside is a no potty area. She does not potty when I am there, it is only when I go to bed. So each morning I wake up to clean pee and poo.

This is our schedule, they eat dinner at 7 pm and they have access to the yard till around 10:30 pm. The other husky knows it's bed time and he goes potty outside and comes back inside and goes to his bed. The new girl, she too goes potty she poos and pees after eating which I praise her like crazy when she potties outside. At 5.30 or 6:00 am I go to take them out and find poo and pee. She never potties in the house when I am there with her. It's always when I go to bed.

Thnx in advance for tips!

Teddy Tisha.png

First, thank you for saving & rescuing a beautiful Husky!!Where is your adopted Husky sleeping at night?? You could always let her be in your room while you're sleeping or with the other dog. Though it's been 4: months, she still has adjusting to do with new home, environment, and everything. It is possible she is still confused from her from abusive past/poor living history. Take baby steps with her bcuz she doesn't know better or is a bit scared with what to do. It's great you have your other dog to kind of guide her.
Keep working with her and taking her outside every 30 minutes when possible.
I think it's worth a try to keep her with the other dog at night or in your room with you through the night.
You're doing great!! Don't give up. You're awesome for adopting her!!
[emoji171][emoji252][emoji191][emoji847][emoji274]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

We are taking baby steps, the one thing I like about her is that she has a good recall. She can walk off leash perfectly while the other will just run away. She is really sweet and loves to cuddle. The one thing that I'm struggling is still the potty training. I'm thinking that I will have to start staying up all night to catch her in the act. She sleeps with the other dog in a closed room. They have a fan and an AC. The other dog knows that he cannot potty inside, but she isn't quite getting the memo. She peed and it soaked his bed. I removed the bed for less headaches in the morning, but it's not nice for my other dog. I'm not sure if there is something I can spray? I clean every morning with bleach and baking soda to get rid of the smell. I'm beginning to wonder if I should take away their water bowl after they eat. Will that work?

(She is the one that is laying down in the picture.)

I suspect what you are seeing is still a response to being moved. We rehomed a 6 year old bitch and she peed and pooed everywhere but only while we were out. She slept in our bedroom to start with and never moved all night but she seemed to let us know she didn’t want that by starting to refuse to go upstairs at night. As she’s settled so eventually all indoor messing stopped. It was helped by our decision to put in a dog flap, after she enlarged the cat flap when we left her in the garden one day [emoji23]

I think maybe allowing her access to your bedroom or even leaving downstairs doors open so she can move about might help. If she was stuck in one area where she had no choice but to pee and poo perhaps shutting her in one place at night provokes the same behaviour?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She is staying in that room because it's a near empty room. I took out all the furniture out. Aside from pottying inside she also chews everything. She has about 5 toys which are the indestructible ones. I think she noticed that they are unbreakable and she stopped playing with them. She behaves perfectly when I'm present. But if I go somewhere else, she will find the nearest item to chew. So that's why she is in that room with my other dog without any furniture. She has to hold it in for 7 hours when I can get some sleep. My number one problem here is that I can't catch her in the act. I'm thinking of getting a spray that will deter her from pottying inside. That sounds like it could help. There is a small cat flap, but the dogs are closed in a room. I do make sure both dogs are tired before going to sleep.

I do think you are doing great. Since you've only had her 4months, and she lived in such horrible conditions for 8months prior, she's having a harder time adjusting and will take longer.
Maybe on your days off, you could "practice" leaving for 10minutes at a time like you're going somewhere, with the dogs in the room...then once you get back home say her name along with, "Let's go outside to potty." When she potties outside, say "Good potty, good girl!!" (Say it with positive excitement and praise her. You could even give her a treat for pottying outside since this is a hard problem you are trying to correct.) I would do this "10minutes" about 4 times in a row every day to equal about an hour tops. I think she will catch on with the added practice. (If she would potty in their room, I would say her name along with "No potty" as you clean the mess up "in front" of her. And say it in a calm voice not to scare her but just to let her know.
Also outside, I think I would put her #2s in a small pile...for a few days. Then she may feel like it's ok to go potty outside after all.
It's just a matter of time before she catches on.
Lots of luck with your precious, beautiful girl!!
[emoji847][emoji171][emoji191][emoji252]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived