Newbie to female heat/season

krystal

Hi Everyone!!

I have had huskies for the last 11 years but both of them were boys, sadly no longer with me! 

My partner and I have rescued a husky x Akita lady from a gentleman in Falmouth who, due to family problems had to give her up.

My queries are that I’ve bever had a female dog and her just coming into heat has got me wanting to know more about these times of year for her, more info the better.

I know that I have to keep her away from males and that she will leave little spots around the house but at the moment she seems a little quiet than normal, still eating, flesh pink gums and a wet nose, a healthy little girl. 

I just want a little guidance and insight to what other members with girl huskies do when they get to their time of the month!

I look forward to your help.

Kindest regards

Krystal and Taiga xx

I am happy to tell you that you will not have to deal with this every month...every 6 months is more then likely.. being more quiet then normal is perfectly fine not wanting to do this, not eating much is also perfectly normal... when Bindi had hers we just let her be where she wanted to be if she did not want to walk then no walk, Bindi became very needy and wanted hugs and fuss but only when she wanted to....

Thank you for the reassurance 😀

she is snuggled up on the couch with me at the moment sleeping, I’d imagine it’s close to what we have to go through.

She is an amazing little girl, I just want to make sure that mum knows a little more so I can look after her as much as she needs. ☺️

Hi and welcome[emoji4] cant really help you, Amy came into her 1st season 3 days after we picked her up from the rescue so we didnt really know her to say if her mood changed and she is now spade her season did last 3 weeks tho so be prepared to mop alot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thank you Jo, I’m just trying to get a feel for what’s to come and what other people have done to help or made their lives easier.......any “hacks” if you know what I mean 😉👍🏻

@KRYSTAL~ Hello!! Some of my neighbors use disposable diapers/nappies on their females so no leaks get on carpets, bedding, etc. Their dogs seem happy & play alot. When at the pet store, I see female dogs wearing these things. I don't know what I'd do in that situation. But I hope this helps if you go this route.
[emoji171][emoji252][emoji847]
https://www.chewy.com/simple-solution-diaper-liners-light/dp/56070?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Simple%20Solution&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiAlfnUBRBQEiwAWpPA6csHni7zk8fdPj_Vj2CQ1rB8HSTOlBdnZuFfgcjBg1wzc0fMufvR2hoCkWsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

P.S. They have washable ones too ... And all kinds of stuff!![emoji23][emoji252][emoji191][emoji274]
https://www.chewy.com/alfie-pet-washable-female-dog-diaper/dp/137429

Thank you so very much, Imhave gone to get some disposable diapers for her, so that’s one step ahead...... had a fun time trying to put it on.

Imdid see that they have washable ones on eBay but it seemed that all the ones I have found are multicoloured or had little pictures all over them, being white they would stick out on her like a sore thumb, being white. 

👍🏻😀❤️

I’d be booking her in to be spayed, there’s little point enduring the mess, the need to be very watchful for 3 weeks and every male dog for miles camping outside. It’s also a good idea as females can get a lot of problems with their reproductive organs which are prevented by spaying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how old KRYSTAL's girl is. I believe they should have two or three seasons before getting spayed.@KRYSTAL ~ I'm glad you found some disposables!! At least until you research whether you want her spayed or not. But those should work well for now!! Yes, the white ones stand out big time. At least they have colorful ones now...black would be the best.
Send photos any time!!
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji252]

Taiga will be 3 in April, I have thought about getting her spade but did hear that is best to leave her a few seasons...... not sure of why that is though 🤔🤔

If she is 3 then she more then likely has had a few already  at least 3 or 4....there are a lot of different views on this topic...one thing you do need to  do is wait 3 months after being on heat so that hormone levels etc can go back to normal... we had Bindi done at 3,5 was going to be a simple straight in and out but ended up with a full hysterectomy because the vet found something nasty starting...

We had Amy done 3 months after her 1st season, vets recommendation but as Rob said there are alot of different views on it, you need to gather all the info and make your decision from there
Amy bounced back really quickly, a week to 10 days calm walks ( tricky with a husky!!) and then its all forgotten!

Amy had everything taken too, on vets advise, to prevent any ovary or womb diseases later on

Any half decent vet will insist on a minimum of 3 months after season finishes - our rescue vet even ensures that 3 month gap by refusing to do bitches when they come in if there's any uncertainty of their last season (it's because the vascular tissue takes time to return to "normal"). Most seasons last about 3 weeks but we've had one last 8 weeks and our Skye had a split season (stopped and then started all over again a few days later). The thinking is to wait until any dog is fully mature before neutering, so we advise at least one season and 1-2 years for males

Glad to say that foster girl Ice is coming to an end

If she is 3 then she more then likely has had a few already  at least 3 or 4....there are a lot of different views on this topic...one thing you do need to  do is wait 3 months after being on heat so that hormone levels etc can go back to normal... we had Bindi done at 3,5 was going to be a simple straight in and out but ended up with a full hysterectomy because the vet found something nasty starting...

My point really, we had an entire Old English Sheepdog of 8 years who was suddenly in a lot of pain, took her to the vet who found a discharge and recommended spaying because he said while he could treat her it would likely recur. He said bitches are better spayed to prevent such infections and problems so we had her done, she was fine, had her another 6 years. There isn’t any good reason that I’ve seen for letting them have several seasons, I suspect there’s no specific reason for it, happy to be corrected though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That what concerns me about keeping her intact, yes puppies would be great, they would be beautiful and great tempered but the thought of not knowing their future scares me half to death.

I think I’m going to get her done later in the year......... for both of us.

You guys are fantastic, thank you so much 😊 

Archived