Crates. Behaviour. 6 months old.

DoggoLover

Helloooo!

Khaleesi is 6 months old. She's half GSD/Sib husky... I've had her since she was 8 weeks amd I've never had her in a crate.... she has destroyed a fair few things... but generally she hasnt actually been bad with chewing ect. Just every so often chews up something, She's never chewed or destroyed anything like furniture etc... untill recently she is becoming a bloody nightmare.

I've always been able to leave her in the house while I go into town, to the shops ect and mostly she never destroys anything.. but now she's just become a terror. Every single time I leave her. Even for 10 minutes while I pop out to get milk she rips up something or chews something. She's went from having free roam of down stairs( living room, kitchen, hallway to being locked in the kitchen during nights and whenever I go out as I couldn't trust her but now she cant even be trusted to have free roam in the kitchen! She WILL find something and rip it up. Its very rare I wake up in the morning or came back from being out and nothing is destroyed. I'm really getting sick of this now. I already have a 2 yr old child who's hard work and I'm 25 weeks pregnant and I'm sick of the stress of it all! And of course it feels worse because all these hormones! I don't get a bloody break from her destroying things! She's totally changed!

Anyway I didn't want to have to crate her because I like the idea of her having the freedom and being able to be trusted but she obviously cant be trusted anymore.

So I've ordered a metal crate that has metal tray so she cant chew it up. Can you guys please suggest or tell me how you got your dogs used to the crate? I don't want to accidentally introduce it negatively and then make her behaviour worse! But she just cant be trusted when I need to go out anymore. Do you guys put your dogs in the crate over night? Is that ok to do or is that far too long for them? Just give me any and every bit of info on crating!

Also its not just her chewing habits ... she also no longer comes back when off the lead. Where as before she has always been perfect off-lead and always came back and listened amazingly. Even in the back garden she wont come back in when I call her. She will start running round the garden in circles like she's taunting me and she's enjoying it. And of course I cant run around the back garden chasing her as I'm pregnant! I have to put her on a flexi lead just to go in the back garden or else she wont come in!!!!

This has came out of nowhere. She used to be so good. Does anybody have any idea why she might be doing this? And how to stop her from doing this? Is it just a phase? What are the reasons for dogs doing this??? She used to be such a good listener and now I'm at my wits end! If she keeps this up I don't know if i'll be comfortable having her around the new baby

Also if I start crating when I'm out, at night etc.. will I always have to crate her or will I eventually be able to trust her out of the crate?

NOTE: THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE. She has plenty toys which she just destroys and I am constantly replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

She's hitting her teenage stage , my girl went through a chewing stage too , once she hit around a year old, eventually she did grow out of it, she u first get the crate let her take her time sniffing it etc, put treats/food in there gradually get her used to u shutting the door n opening it until u can actually close it with the lock, then gradually increase the time she's in there, if she cries wait till she's quiet before letting her back out , sadly it's not advised to let huskies off the lead due to their prey drive and high desire to run , the garden thing she'll eventually start behaving she's just pushing her boundaries, can u not leave her out there till she comes in on her own? She might just prefer being outside especially if it's warm in your house

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

She's hitting her teenage stage , my girl went through a chewing stage too , once she hit around a year old, eventually she did grow out of it, she u first get the crate let her take her time sniffing it etc, put treats/food in there gradually get her used to u shutting the door n opening it until u can actually close it with the lock, then gradually increase the time she's in there, if she cries wait till she's quiet before letting her back out , sadly it's not advised to let huskies off the lead due to their prey drive and high desire to run , the garden thing she'll eventually start behaving she's just pushing her boundaries, can u not leave her out there till she comes in on her own? She might just prefer being outside especially if it's warm in your house

Thanks for the info ... I would like to be able to leave her out the back but unfortunately someones always putting rubbish in my garden so I cant trust leaving her out long incase she gets ahold of something she shouldnt... And she will end up digging up the garden and I cant carry her all the way upstairs and into the bath not while preg [emoji23]

Thanks for the info ... I would like to be able to leave her out the back but unfortunately someones always putting rubbish in my garden so I cant trust leaving her out long incase she gets ahold of something she shouldnt... And she will end up digging up the garden and I cant carry her all the way upstairs and into the bath not while preg [emoji23]

That's so bad! People are vile , I rarely bath mine if they get muddy I just wait till it's dry n brush them , you'll find they don't really need bathing often unless they roll on something really smelly

Hi, it’s a phase they go thru, testing boundaries, destroying, chewing etc. I found training to be constant from pups to age 1 and a half, I’m still training and they’re both nearly 2. I have a dog safety gate at my kitchen door so during the day if I’m out they don’t have access to upstairs but they can now be trusted at night to full access to all rooms but this has only been in the last 3 months. It must be hard being pregnant and dog training, consistency and positive reinforced training will pay off, eventually. Being half husky I wouldn’t risk off lead as you’re now finding, shes stopped listening and it could be dangerous for her. She will also pick up on your frustration with her and it could set training back a little. I can’t advise on how to crate train as my 2 aren’t but all I know is that it should be a safe space for her and not to be used as a punishment otherwise she won’t go in it.
She sounds very playful and wilful, if you try to chase her she’ll think it’s a game, i taught my 2 ‘what’s this’ with a treat initially so when I wanted them to come to me I would say ‘what’s this’ and whatever they were doing, usually play fighting, they’d stop what they were doing and come to me. It must be hard at 25 weeks pregnant but if you spend maybe an hour a day, split the time, training the behaviour you want from her it’ll make a difference when your new addition arrives.
Good luck and I hope it works out [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

@Chelseafan yeah no more off lead lol, I have tried when she's out the back calling her in, saying whats this , do you want a treat, everything but she wont come back in its only after about 15 mins I have to go out and get her so I've not been making it a game at all its just her being naughty. And she knows it too.

That's so bad! People are vile , I rarely bath mine if they get muddy I just wait till it's dry n brush them , you'll find they don't really need bathing often unless they roll on something really smelly

I tried waiting till its dry but she just runs about mad and it goes everywhere

I have not experienced this myself, but I have read that if you want to train your dog to go in and like the crate, you can start by feeding your dog all meals inside the crate. Also, put toys and blankets in there that she likes. Try to make it a positive experience. Also, you will need to secure the crate door with clips so she can't break out. I would also secure each side and corner with zip-ties.

Kim

I have small padlocks on each side of Astros crate and they've worked fine (he managed to collapse it once before I had them when he was in it!) I put zip ties on Koda's but he's chewed the ends off making them really sharp so just be careful if you use them especially with you having children
Mine haven't got blankets in their crates as they just destroy them, just a Kong Extreme each stuffed with treats! Whenever they see me putting treats in their kongs they go and sit in their crates ready
Don't have her in the crate for too long, mine are just in there while we are at work. I think Day and night is too long. And never put her in the crate when she's being naughty as that will just undo everything you've done to make her being in there a positive experience
And I would never trust my 2 out of their crate! Astro is 4 and has calmed down a lot now but it's better to be safe than sorry. 6 to 12 months old is a bit of a naughty stage for them but she will grow out of it! I always mainly see huskies for sale between 6 and 12 months old, funny how so many develop allergies when they are that age [emoji849]

I’m near the end of crate training my 9 month old pup now. The first step I did was use treats to get her to go in it and lay down. Then more treats when I could walk away and then close the door (in stages). I always threw the treats in the crate rather then give them to her by hand. I feed all her meals in her crate and put all her favorite toys in it too. I also put the crate where the family spends most of their time so she can feel comfortable going in it. It’s a process and she will get used to it and enjoy it. I put mine in her crate at night but during the day she’s only in it if I have an errand to run.

My girl is so stubborn she won’t come in when I call her either and I can’t leave her outside because she will tear little things up around the yard. The only thing that works is to crinkle the treat bag but that’s because she is food obsessed! Haha. Otherwise I’m out there in my pajamas chasing her around in the cold!

Also, never let her off leash, they are runners so they can be unpredictable if they will run or not.

I’m sure things will calm down as they get older but right now they are in that mischievous age!

Thank you everyone! I'm so glad I'm not alone! This behaviours just came from nowhere so I thought I must have went wrong somewhere! Glad to see it is just a mischevious phase! Everyone says not to use the crate as a punishment place. I'm curious as a dog trainer was told me you can use the crate as a punishment place aswell? Why would she say that?? Seems strange to me. Also I would like to know how everyone deals with their huskies "bad behaviour" ... if they've been bad what do you do?

I’m near the end of crate training my 9 month old pup now. The first step I did was use treats to get her to go in it and lay down. Then more treats when I could walk away and then close the door (in stages). I always threw the treats in the crate rather then give them to her by hand. I feed all her meals in her crate and put all her favorite toys in it too. I also put the crate where the family spends most of their time so she can feel comfortable going in it. It’s a process and she will get used to it and enjoy it. I put mine in her crate at night but during the day she’s only in it if I have an errand to run.

My girl is so stubborn she won’t come in when I call her either and I can’t leave her outside because she will tear little things up around the yard. The only thing that works is to crinkle the treat bag but that’s because she is food obsessed! Haha. Otherwise I’m out there in my pajamas chasing her around in the cold!

Also, never let her off leash, they are runners so they can be unpredictable if they will run or not.

I’m sure things will calm down as they get older but right now they are in that mischievous age!

Not even treats work to get her in! She knows what I'm trying!

Thank you everyone! I'm so glad I'm not alone! This behaviours just came from nowhere so I thought I must have went wrong somewhere! Glad to see it is just a mischevious phase! Everyone says not to use the crate as a punishment place. I'm curious as a dog trainer was told me you can use the crate as a punishment place aswell? Why would she say that?? Seems strange to me. Also I would like to know how everyone deals with their huskies "bad behaviour" ... if they've been bad what do you do?

No idea why a dog trainer would say that, a good trainer wouldn't!
If she's been naughty, you have to tell her off when she's actually doing it. There's no point in telling a dog off after they have done something because they'll just think they're being told off for whatever they are doing that moment in time! I'm just very stern with mine and tell them no or drop it, I think they know when they are being naughty though!

Agree with above, and that trainer saying that......
I think mine have passed that ‘naughty phase’ they’ll still munch on a few things but nowhere near as they were. I used to say a stern NO and ignore them for 10 mins, they hate being ignored and a time out if behaviour carries on.
Have you tried giving her bones to chew on, it’ll keep her occupied for a while.

Archived