Lead training for 8 week old puppy

Mikachu

Hi all!

My neighbor is deathly afraid of dogs so she requested that I have my eight week old puppy on a leash whenever I take her out. (She’s pregnant & said she’d run & probably fall if Mika ran up to her). Mika does not bark & is very very sweet but my neighbor is just deathly afraid. My issue is Mika is not taking to the leash well. Can anyone provide any pointers on starting her? I’ve tried to use some treats as positive reenforcement but that doesn’t seem to work after a couple treats. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

If your garden is fenced in and secure then to be honest I'd just ignore your neighbour, it's a pup , however having a light house line on your dog for her to have clipped on to drag around will help her get used to it , but as she's only 8 weeks and can't go for walks yet I wouldn't worry you've got a while to get her used to it

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Just to add: As your puppy gets older, it will want to run around and play/explore with you. Make sure you've checked your entire yard/garden for any "leaks" where your puppy could easily escape. Also, I would always keep an eye on your puppy at all times. (No matter what the age, Huskies love to escape.)
Also, I realize that your neighbor is afraid of dogs and pregnant, and realize some people are petrified of dogs. But in all honestly, she cannot control you, your dog or your yard with her fears or being pregnant. I am not saying this to be mean.
(If someone told me they were afraid of dogs, and for me to keep my two Huskies on the leash at all times, I would kindly tell them that my dogs cannot be leashed/staked to the ground for their life times. Instead, I'd probably work with her gradually about not being so fearful...though you're not her counselor, etc.)
We put up our 5 and 6foot fences in 2002, just specifically, to have dogs & a nice back yard area for them to play...it cost $4000 back then. So I control what happens in my backyard.
Best of luck with your puppy and your neighbor.
WELCOME ABOARD!![emoji171][emoji4][emoji252][emoji274]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

One of mine, Cai, hated a collar and leash at first, when he was 8 weeks old, and until vaccinations completed I used to put them on him in the house for 20 mins at a time, and praise him when he didn’t pull away, I had 3 weeks of doing this before I could take him out. He was a lot better by the time we’d go for walks, he’d have the occasional head shake and he’d try to bite the lead but I ignored that and when he stopped biting I’d praise him.
As for your neighbour............[emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived