Puppy diet

Kyrawr19

I recently adopted my husky Manuka. 

Hes currently 10 weeks old and weighs 7kg. 

His diet at the moment consists of three meals a day. 

Breakfast- Two Tbsp of farax (rice cereal) with around 1/4 a cup of puppy milk formula and 1/4 of a Weetbix. 

Lunch- 50g of boiled chicken thigh fillet, 100g of cooked beef mince with grated carrot, turmeric and cinnamon,  50g of cooked brown rice, 1/2 a sardine, and a sprinkle of cheese 

Dinner- 150g of cooled beef mince with grated carrot, turmeric and cinnamon, 50g of cooked brown rice, 1/2 a sardine, a sprinkle of cheese, and one egg yolk. 

I’m just wondering if this sounds appropriate for his feedings at this age or if there’s anything you would change?

Hello. I feed mine two (puppy food large breed) DRY dogfood, which equates to about 5-6cups a day plus some treats. (My two Huskies are 1yr old and 1.9yrs old and both extremely active!!) Since you have a very young puppy, just ensure he is getting plenty of high calorie food and protein for growing strong bones & muscles. I don't know about all the tumeric and in what milligrams.
Others on here feed their dogs alot of the same foods you mentioned.
Good luck with your sweet baby pup!!
[emoji171][emoji274][emoji252]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

I would maybe add organs from animals. Cows, chickens, turkeys, deer, rabbits. Organ carry important proteins, vitimans and minerals. Now him being a puppy wouldnt need a whole lot maybe just a heart or intestine. One organ a time tell he gets bigger. I don't start feeding mine the raw dinner tell they where 5 months old. It was a little easier since the puppy food has DHA in it which is important for their brains. But I would add organs in there. [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

48 minutes ago, Markie said:

I would maybe add organs from animals. Cows, chickens, turkeys, deer, rabbits. Organ carry important proteins, vitimans and minerals. Now him being a puppy wouldnt need a whole lot maybe just a heart or intestine. One organ a time tell he gets bigger. I don't start feeding mine the raw dinner tell they where 5 months old. It was a little easier since the puppy food has DHA in it which is important for their brains. But I would add organs in there. emoji4.pngemoji4.png

What animal organ would you recommend? And would he only need it on one of his meals or a little bit in each? 

Would it be better to cook the organ or leave it raw? I’ve heard that at such a young age they can have some trouble digesting a lot of raw meat. 

Hi, I’ve just bought some heart for my 2, they’ll have a little added to their evening meal twice a week. Heart is better fed raw than cooked but mine are 22 months and 20 months of age. The percentages differ in daily amounts depending on what organs you feed your dog.
You can feed, liver, spleen, kidneys, heart, ovaries, heart and more, they are packed with essential vitamins and minerals and more besides.
There are some great sites for more info on raw feeding, took me a while to work out amounts and what to feed for a balanced diet, it’s very important to get it right for their health.
Good luck [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Just to add, I wouldn’t introduce too many at this age as it might give him diarrhoea, my two were fed raw at 5-6 months and I wouldn’t feed liver at this age, it’s quite rich. He might enjoy lamb ribs as there’s no bones, so he won’t break any teeth.

What animal organ would you recommend? And would he only need it on one of his meals or a little bit in each? 
Would it be better to cook the organ or leave it raw? I’ve heard that at such a young age they can have some trouble digesting a lot of raw meat. 

I would do a heart or intestine ( cut up) only do about half of it. I wouldn't do anymore then these two at the moment such a young age. And yes raw cooking takes all of the healthy stuff out that you would have to supplement back in so keep the organs raw. No need to cook them. I have heard that also [emoji4]

Hi, I’ve just bought some heart for my 2, they’ll have a little added to their evening meal twice a week. Heart is better fed raw than cooked but mine are 22 months and 20 months of age. The percentages differ in daily amounts depending on what organs you feed your dog.
You can feed, liver, spleen, kidneys, heart, ovaries, heart and more, they are packed with essential vitamins and minerals and more besides.
There are some great sites for more info on raw feeding, took me a while to work out amounts and what to feed for a balanced diet, it’s very important to get it right for their health.
Good luck [emoji6]

Just to add, I wouldn’t introduce too many at this age as it might give him diarrhoea, my two were fed raw at 5-6 months and I wouldn’t feed liver at this age, it’s quite rich. He might enjoy lamb ribs as there’s no bones, so he won’t break any teeth.

Agreed mine love all of those lol had hearts two days ago went crazy [emoji2][emoji6][emoji1]

I have fed my 11 month old husky raw since i got her and am a strong advocator for it. i would not suggest cooking any food for your dog, they are not the same as humans. cooking basically depletes the nutrition from the beef and chicken to nothing. i would consider switching to raw fully. if you were to switch he would need a fully balanced meal every day from the get go! this is because he is still a puppy. the ratio for balanced meals are 80% muscle meat, 10% raw meaty (edible) bones, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organs. the organs are very important because that is were the majority of his vitamins would come from. puppies usually have an easier transition because they have not been eating kibble or other food for very long, meaning that their stomach is much less sensitive. but it is normal and expected to have some runny poo at the begining. but i do stress that he needs organs bones and meat every single day because he is still a growing puppy.

i am really not trying to be rude by this next statement, as i can tell you clearly love your little guy! but if raw isnt an option i would strongly recomend a switch to a kibble that you trust instead of cooking meals for your guy.

if you consider switching to raw there is a facebook group called RFU-Raw Feeding University. https://www.facebook.com/groups/rawfeedinguniversity/ i learned soo much from it and everyone is always positive and helpfull! another great website is

perfectlyrawsome.com its run by an admin of the group. they are extremely trustworthy and have all the right answers.

again, definately not trying to make you feel bad! just want to help and point you in the right direction!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Husky Owners mobile app

oh i forgot to add: companies make premade raw! everything is all minced up. that is what i started my puppy on until i decided to put my own meals together. i imagine its good for puppies if they are unable or unwilling to chew bones at first. be wary when picking a brand! do some research and trust the company youre buying from, and look for that golden ratio! 80/10/5/5! also youll want to provide at least three proteins a week.

I have fed my 11 month old husky raw since i got her and am a strong advocator for it. i would not suggest cooking any food for your dog, they are not the same as humans. cooking basically depletes the nutrition from the beef and chicken to nothing. i would consider switching to raw fully. if you were to switch he would need a fully balanced meal every day from the get go! this is because he is still a puppy. the ratio for balanced meals are 80% muscle meat, 10% raw meaty (edible) bones, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organs. the organs are very important because that is were the majority of his vitamins would come from. puppies usually have an easier transition because they have not been eating kibble or other food for very long, meaning that their stomach is much less sensitive. but it is normal and expected to have some runny poo at the begining. but i do stress that he needs organs bones and meat every single day because he is still a growing puppy.
i am really not trying to be rude by this next statement, as i can tell you clearly love your little guy! but if raw isnt an option i would strongly recomend a switch to a kibble that you trust instead of cooking meals for your guy.

if you consider switching to raw there is a facebook group called RFU-Raw Feeding University. https://www.facebook.com/groups/rawfeedinguniversity/ i learned soo much from it and everyone is always positive and helpfull! another great website is
perfectlyrawsome.com its run by an admin of the group. they are extremely trustworthy and have all the right answers.

again, definately not trying to make you feel bad! just want to help and point you in the right direction!

oh i forgot to add: companies make premade raw! everything is all minced up. that is what i started my puppy on until i decided to put my own meals together. i imagine its good for puppies if they are unable or unwilling to chew bones at first. be wary when picking a brand! do some research and trust the company youre buying from, and look for that golden ratio! 80/10/5/5! also youll want to provide at least three proteins a week.

Completely Agree that is a very good well thought out post. Three proteins a week is very important!!! [emoji2][emoji2]There is Darwin they are pretty good brand to buy [emoji16]

@Markie thanks! im not that familiar with Darwin. im in canada so ive only had experience with Big Country Raw, but i hear alot of people use Raw Feeding Miami. apparently they ship all over and ive only heard excellent things about them!

I heard Raw feeding Miami was good [emoji2] I saw Darwin and did it once then moved on to doing it myself [emoji2]
https://www.darwinspet.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw0qLOBRBUEiwAMG5xMGESaupcbi10z8lqCjMfaex0zHOiyGvE9a6xcGC4SNWLf-igOWWiPRoC70UQAvD_BwE

So I have rectified Manuka’s meals thanks to everyone’s advice.

Breakfast is still the same.

Lunch and dinner- 15g of minced chicken bones from the butcher, 120g of microwaved (only 1mim because he refused to eat it cold, I’m planning on reducing that slowly) beef mince, 7.5g of lamb heart, 7.5g of chicken liver, 50g of rice, an egg yolk with lunch or fish with dinner.

If there is anything else I could change please let me know I only want the best for my puppy.

Oh and he also has a bit of grated carrot with lunch and dinner.

Thanks heaps for your help. Unfortunately there aren’t any companies that prepare raw near me (Australia).

I have rectified Manuka’s meals.
Lunch and dinner- 15g of minced chicken bones from the butcher, 120g of microwaved (only 1mim because he refused to eat it cold, I’m planning on reducing that slowly) beef mince, 7.5g of lamb heart, 7.5g of chicken liver, 50g of rice, an egg yolk with lunch or fish with dinner.

If there is anything else I could change please let me know I only want the best for my puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

So I have rectified Manuka’s meals thanks to everyone’s advice.

Thanks heaps for your help. Unfortunately there aren’t any companies that prepare raw near me (Australia).

I have rectified Manuka’s meals.

that sounds great! makes sense she doesnt like it cold yet if she's used to it being cooked. she'll get there! 1 min in the microwave isnt much of a concern. some dogs only like frozen or partially frozen, for example my girl WILL NOT eat liver unless it is completely frozen. hates it. it takes some time but youll figure out what she likes and how she likes it. just wanted to point out 1 thing though, i see your feeding the same amount of heart and liver. or you intending for heart to be organ? just incase you didnt know heart is actually used as a muscle meat. weird i know! other than that little thing (which you may have already known) youre doing great! keep it up! [emoji4][emoji4]

that sounds great! makes sense she doesnt like it cold yet if she's used to it being cooked. she'll get there! 1 min in the microwave isnt much of a concern. some dogs only like frozen or partially frozen, for example my girl WILL NOT eat liver unless it is completely frozen. hates it. it takes some time but youll figure out what she likes and how she likes it. just wanted to point out 1 thing though, i see your feeding the same amount of heart and liver. or you intending for heart to be organ? just incase you didnt know heart is actually used as a muscle meat. weird i know! other than that little thing (which you may have already known) youre doing great! keep it up! [emoji4][emoji4]

Oh thanks I actually didn’t realise that a heart would be a muscle meat lol what other organ would you recommend for him?
If it’s okay to continue heating his meat up or should I gradually decrease the time heated as I’d planned?

Oh thanks I actually didn’t realise that a heart would be a muscle meat lol what other organ would you recommend for him?
If it’s okay to continue heating his meat up or should I gradually decrease the time heated as I’d planned?

preferably i would decrease like planned. as for other organs, anything would be good for him! what can be used is spleen, kidney, brain, thymus, pancreas, testicles and ovaries. i find it hard to source anything but kidney so thats what i usually feed her. if you cant find anything right away you can double the liver amount as long as its not for too long. also the 10% bone is a guidline, some dogs need a bit more or a bit less. go by what his poop looks like - gross i know. if its consistantly too soft he may need a tad more bone, if its really hard and very light in color -whitish- a little less bone. if its super dark blackish or tar looking ease up on the organs a little. his poop is expected to be softer in the begining when trasitioning, his bodys way of detoxing. if his poops look good it means youre doing a good job! [emoji5][emoji106]

I agree with@Eriin your doing Fantastic!! Decrease the cooking and your as good as gold. Mine love every organ out there [emoji6][emoji2][emoji173]️

preferably i would decrease like planned. as for other organs, anything would be good for him! what can be used is spleen, kidney, brain, thymus, pancreas, testicles and ovaries. i find it hard to source anything but kidney so thats what i usually feed her. if you cant find anything right away you can double the liver amount as long as its not for too long. also the 10% bone is a guidline, some dogs need a bit more or a bit less. go by what his poop looks like - gross i know. if its consistantly too soft he may need a tad more bone, if its really hard and very light in color -whitish- a little less bone. if its super dark blackish or tar looking ease up on the organs a little. his poop is expected to be softer in the begining when trasitioning, his bodys way of detoxing. if his poops look good it means youre doing a good job! [emoji5][emoji106]

Thank you, I’ll definitely look into getting kidneys instead of the heart, hopefully he likes them :)
How long is generally expected for his poo to be softer due to the transition?
I’m used to checking his poo already, it was horrid when I first got him and I wanted to make sure my diet was working.

I agree with[mention=15154]Eriin[/mention] your doing Fantastic!! Decrease the cooking and your as good as gold. Mine love every organ out there [emoji6][emoji2][emoji173]️

Thank you I only want him to be as as healthy as possible. I’m so glad I found this site as much of my online searching was coming up blank.

Proper dog poo should be small, firm and like pellets. People who feed canned or kibble think their dog is fine because it produces big poop but that is because of all the cereal and filler. A dog on raw has quite different poop and it takes other dog owners by surprise because there’s so much less of it but that’s just how it should be. I’m so pleased you are feeding raw, it makes for a happier, healthier, calmer dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only poodoo I find that is small, firm & pellets is rabbit poodoo LOL!! Dogs should have bigger poodoos because they are bigger animals!! I guess I should research different poop and piles of it on the internet per various animals...probably very interesting. If you see chocolate almond shaped poodoo, don't eat it, it's deer poop!!
My dogs are on dry food, which is perfectly fine to use. Some times, they have small piles. Then some times I see huge piles... I call those MOOSE TRACKS[emoji233]🤣!!
Also, I'm the Poopie Police at our house! "It's a sh*tty job, but someone's gotta do it!!"
Gotta love the POOPMAN[emoji90] Emoji and this conversation!!🤣[emoji90][emoji252][emoji252]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

what luna-tic said! im not sure how long it would take to firm up but since its a puppy i wouldnt imagine at taking longer than a couple weeks. if its doesnt harden up try adding a little bit more bone.
on raw zen eliminates once maybe twice a day. much less often than kibble fed, smaller and 100% less stinky! makes for clean up a little more tolerable

Archived