Vaccinations

Paradox

Hi all, 

Quick question, I am not overly worried. More curious if anything. All vets are closed and I will call them on Monday just to double check. 

Am I going crazy? Loki had his C5, Kennel cough and wormer at the vets yesterday. Roughly five hours later he turned into a dangerously hyper active ( zero inhibitions) , loud ( barking excessively when he never has before) , almost aggressive version of himself. Reactive to noises when he never has been before. Super on edge. 

Went to sleep, woke up same time as usual, had breakfast the normal routine. But was the same over the top version as last night. I am doing all the normal things and he is struggling but keeping it in check I think he is exhausted. Until something sets him off again and we start all over again. 

I know this must sound like a silly question, but has anyone ever experienced a side effect / reaction to a vaccination like this before? Usually I would put it down to puppy being a puppy and pushing the boundaries. But it was such a sudden and massive shift. 

I appreciate all changes should be treated as serious, this is not something I would consider serious enough to visit the emergency hospital. Right now unless something changes I am happy to wait till tomorrow to take him in. 

He is currently sleeping at my feet, but I can tell he isn't settled. Any noise and he wakes up. This is the puppy that fell asleep during his first thunder storm ( I had locked myself out and we had to literally sit it out on a door step ). 

Picture because, well look at how damn cute he is. Has the lie down and wait thing mastered ( only because of the number of photos I take :P

IMG_0099.JPG

I’ve never heard of a reaction like that! But if you are concerned could you ring the out of hours vets for advise ( without the over priced cost)?
And yes, he is damn cute [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

How old is he? Has he had anything different ( apart from jabs) that you can think off?
Maybe just being a little ****
Amy had a day like that yesterday, hyper, whining, excitable, jumping up at my treatment room door trying to get in, no change in routine just being a madame, all back to normal today!!! Typical husky???

You could ring the emergency vets for advice , they should be able to give you advice over the phone without seeing him especially if he's otherwise ok in himself

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Sorry just seen u have rang , is there only one emergency vet u have? Maybe another will have better advice

Jo - 11 weeks old on Thursday gone. Nothing else has changed, I have horses so it is a habit to keep a routine down. I did think he was just being .. a husky :P and a puppy. But it is bizarre behaviour. He is lying here exhausted, you can tell. But his eyes are not closed all the way, he almost looks nervous and unsure. For a very brave ( too brave ) pup it is strange. 

Although! Now that I think about it I swapped his food over from the horrible super coat he was on from when they handed him to me, to Taste of the wild. It has been a gradual change over since Monday. Do dogs get hyperactive with food? I have never really needed to change dogs off the food I started them on.  I know horses do, too much energy in their food and you know about it a few days later. 

BingBlaze N Skyla - That is the only emergency vet we have :/ Would like to talk to his vet anyways, she knows what she gave him and if any other dogs have had a reaction. All his vitals ( temp included ) are perfect. Short of drawing some blood there probably isn't much they can do for me today. 

I agree. I don't think a "180" change should happen. Maybe LOKI is experimenting pain from the shot?? Or having a painful reaction to the serum in the shot. Some times pain could cause a quick change like this bcuz they don't know how to deal with it... it could come out as aggression or super hyperactive. Hope this helps. She may be ok tell your Vet opens.
He's, LOKI is such a charming beautiful baby!!!
[emoji8][emoji252][emoji171][emoji262][emoji260][emoji274]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

14 minutes ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

I agree. I don't think a "180" change should happen. Maybe LOKI is experimenting pain from the shot?? Or having a painful reaction to the serum in the shot. Some times pain could cause a quick change like this bcuz they don't know how to deal with it... it could come out as aggression or super hyperactive. Hope this helps. She may be ok tell your Vet opens.
He's, LOKI is such a charming beautiful baby!!!
emoji8.pngemoji252.pngemoji171.pngemoji262.pngemoji260.pngemoji274.png

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

He just looks so miserable and confused. I don't like seeing him like that without being able to fix it. The spoilt puppy is sleeping for now. As long as he is touching me and I don't stop patting him :) 

Maybe you could "slowly" put him back on the food he was on to see if that has any merit for his change of behavior. Maybe something has scared/spooked him or he suddenly is having some major separation anxiety. But shots definitely can have reactions.
(My previous dog APOLLO got his first Rabies shot, and the next day his back right leg was dragging like it was paralyzed. Turned out the shot made his muscle swell up & was inflamed until it became less sore.)
You could put some ice on the area the shot was given to see if that helps any.
Praying for your sweet LOKI Baby!
[emoji120] [emoji252][emoji260][emoji274][emoji262]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

@Paradox I do believe the dog food changed your dog [emoji4] I mean that seriously I've seen that Siku when I got him was something the breeder had him on I don't even remember anyway I switched him to Taste Of The Wild and he got crazy I think it's just how the food goes through them. Gives them way more energy and he is growing into more attention age lol [emoji23][emoji23] He probably isn't scared he is just Alert. I know my personal huskies are up at anything different or loud noise [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

@RACHEL_ASTRO ~ You're right. The sudden complete turn could very well be switching the food even if done gradually.
What@MARKIE said about the age is when they'll have a change phase. Being 11-12weeks old is the perfect age for growing into their personality, and they just get more independent bravery changes LOL!!
The new puppy food most likely has a high volume of protein...and protein is greatly needed and gives ultimate energy drive. I would still KEEP your puppy on "PUPPY FOOD" daily, for at least a year, because it is so important for growing properly, strong bones & muscle strength. I know Huskies are a "medium" breed size, but due to their long snout and large mouth/teeth, I would still use "Large Breed Puppy Food." Additionally, keep working with your beautiful baby!!
[emoji170]🤗[emoji260][emoji262][emoji171]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

17 hours ago, Markie said:

@Paradox I do believe the dog food changed your dog emoji4.png I mean that seriously I've seen that Siku when I got him was something the breeder had him on I don't even remember anyway I switched him to Taste Of The Wild and he got crazy I think it's just how the food goes through them. Gives them way more energy and he is growing into more attention age lol emoji23.pngemoji23.png He probably isn't scared he is just Alert. I know my personal huskies are up at anything different or loud noise emoji4.pngemoji4.png

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

It has a similar effect in horses, certain foods will trigger them, foods with high energy contents so on. Wasn't sure with dogs. 

15 hours ago, Rachael_Astro said:

I've heard about dogs having a bad reaction to normal annual vaccinations before, their temperature shot up and they were very poorly, but not a hyperactive reaction

About an hour or two after I posted this I checked and his temp was slightly elevated, he started to look pretty poor for a bit. Finally got him to relax and he woke up looking a bit brighter. 

Thanks ARMANI & ALINAH

He woke up this morning back to his normal self. Still a terror, but way more chilled out and responsive. Nothing like he was the day before. Currently chilling beside me with a toy as we speak :P

I am thinking it was just his way of reacting to not feeling so well. In any case I am incredibly glad to see him looking normal again. 

Thanks for all your support! 

Archived