weaning

StephenG

as you all know myself and zoe have 5 pups who are 5 weeks old today....

but we don't know how the best way to wean them off willow as we were told they should be weaned off her. they have been eating puppy food and lapping water perfectly but they're still wanting to feed off willow. we are giving willow long breaks from the pups to encourage them to feed themselves which seems to be working but is it ideal to only allow them to feed from mother twice a day? and just feed them puppy food and water the rest of their feeds? 

as you all know myself and zoe have 5 pups who are 5 weeks old today....
but we don't know how the best way to wean them off willow as we were told they should be weaned off her. they have been eating puppy food and lapping water perfectly but they're still wanting to feed off willow. we are giving willow long breaks from the pups to encourage them to feed themselves which seems to be working but is it ideal to only allow them to feed from mother twice a day? and just feed them puppy food and water the rest of their feeds? 

Would will wean them you won't have to do anything. She will kick them off :-):-)

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

Would will wean them you won't have to do anything. She will kick them off :-):-)

Willow

It all depends on when and if the puppies will be leaving the home. If you have found homes for your puppies it would be cruel to leave mommy hanging there with engorged teets and not have any puppies there to help relieve her pain. So it has to be carefully planned out for the health of the puppies and the well being and comfort of the mother. If any are staying then they can be weaned at mommy's discretion. 

You can buy a weaning or starter formula, to begin with put it into a shallow pan, once they smell it they’ll want to taste it and gradually thicken the formula with puppy food, by 7 or 8 weeks they should be fully weaned. The breeder I got Cai from used to give the pups abit of coconut milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Just to add, you separate the pups from mum gradually and feed pups when they’re separated as this will lessen dependency on mum’s milk. It’s important not to separate for too long as mum needs to teach pups how to behave and correct them and also to adjust mum’s diet when she’s feeding pups less.
Any more pics of the pups? They’re gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived