Walking the dog

TeamYuki

I have a 13 week old puppy and when we take her for walks, she's always pulling at the leash and as she grows, it's putting more strain on my arm.

I'd like her to walk at my side with slack in the leash, but I'm not sure how to teach her that or even at what age I should begin doing that. does anyone have any ideas or tips?

Thanks!

Try a slip lead, put it just behind her ears quite far up her head. If she tries to pull give the lead a little tug and keep doing tugs until she walks next to or behind you

And remember a puppy that age should only be walked about 15 mins at a time (5 mins per month of age until adulthood)

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I'd at that age just do turns as soon as she pulls turn and walk in the opposite direction , when she's by your side praise her and turn back the way you're going , if she pulls u do it again , it might mean u walking back and forth for a while but it works , just remember to use lots of praise when she is being good

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

2 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

I'd at that age just do turns as soon as she pulls turn and walk in the opposite direction , when she's by your side praise her and turn back the way you're going , if she pulls u do it again , it might mean u walking back and forth for a while but it works , just remember to use lots of praise when she is being good

I did that with Aris and it helped a lot. Now, when we walk and he starts to pull I just stop, say  "Stop" when he turns to me and stands near I praise and we continue. It also sometimes means that we need 15 mins for 50m walk but progress is evident. Praise doesn/t always need to be food. Walking is praise, "Good boy" and patting also. I use food just when disturbance is hard (for him its cats, hedgehogs and big birds)  

Also remember that from time to time you need to let your dog to "be a dog" and explore . In those moments I just use longer leash. Of course he cannot pull or go far.      

I did that with Aris and it helped a lot. Now, when we walk and he starts to pull I just stop, say  "Stop" when he turns to me and stands near I praise and we continue. It also sometimes means that we need 15 mins for 50m walk but progress is evident. Praise doesn/t always need to be food. Walking is praise, "Good boy" and patting also. I use food just when disturbance is hard (for him its cats, hedgehogs and big birds)  
Also remember that from time to time you need to let your dog to "be a dog" and explore . In those moments I just use longer leash. Of course he cannot pull or go far.      

Good point that's what the behaviourist said for my dogs too, letting dogs smell things they want to smell is really important (unless it's something that could harm them obviously!)

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Okay thanks for your help! I actually started the stop and turn in the opposite direction tactic yesterday just before posting, so I'm glad that that is what you all agree on too.

I do want to let her be a dog too, but she always wants to go into shrubs and brush and eat whatever plants are there. I don't know what the plants are, so I always pull her out unless it's grass. What plants are okay to eat and what isn't? My problem is that I am not a botanist and don't know what most plants are except some poison ivy. I definitely don't let her eat that.

Thank you!!

Archived