Deter from mouthing on feet

yacob841

So my husky will be 12 weeks old on Sunday and he has definitely gotten a lot better since when I first got him but he insists on biting my (or anyones) feet. I had been instructed that if he bites me, I tell him no, and he stops, to give him a treat. However I believe this is just making him realize he has to bite me first in order to get a treat. I even witnessed him bite me, stop on his own, look at me, didn't get a treat, went and bit me again, stopped on his own, and stared at me again. So I started trying something else, he has sit down pretty well and I was instructed that if he bites me, then tell him "No, sit" and he will stop biting you in order to sit. This is very true and works but it only takes him about 2 seconds before he starts biting again. So I added "wait". I tell him "No, sit" then say wait and keep him waiting for about 30 seconds, then give him a treat. I just started this recently and it seems to work although as soon as he's done he's right back to biting.

I have tried the standard solutions people put:

When he bites replace your foot/arm with his favorite toy. However this does not work. His favorite toy is my foot and arm. If I give him his toy, he drops it and starts biting me again.

Telling him "No" and giving a treat when he stops. Explained above how this did not work.

When he bites, remove yourself from the situation. This I can only somewhat try. I can't leave the room because it is where I work and I can't leave him unchaperoned in the rest of the house for obvious reasons. I have recently been telling him time out and putting him in a separate crate then his sleeping crate, however he doesn't get it. He cries like he doesn't like it, so I assume he understands I bite him, I go somewhere I don't like but then as soon as I let him out he runs for my feet as soon as I start to walk away

Make yourself taste awful. The last suggestion was to use some sort of bitter spray. This works on normal objects for awhile, but when I put it on my skin it lasts for about 30-60 seconds and then he is back to biting.

Any ideas? Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from you shortly.

Keep up , is there a hallway you can put him in with nothing in , wait till he's calm even if it's only for a second n let him back
In , soon as he does it straight back out again , it will take some time as he's only a baby but he will get there , constantly changing methods won't help tho , and he's already shown he's smart enough to learn by starting and then stopping for a treat , clever pup lol

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Agree that the most important thing is to choose one method and stick to that religiously. It's going to be the repetition that eventually sinks in and create a "oh, I'm not supposed to do that" moment.
If there's nowhere safe for him to be removed to when he does it can an area be sectioned off to place him in fora while. So that when he starts biting, if he doesn't respond to the initial word "no" you can safely remove him for a while and then bring him back. The idea being that it will sink in that biting means he's removed from you and that means no fun.

Also have you got teething toys? If he's teething which he likely is at 12 weeks old then he's going to be a lot more mouthy and teething toys/frozen flannel can help his sore little gums.
Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived