Puppy is spot trained not pad trained

yacob841

So I got my puppy at 6 week old and he is coming on 12 weeks now. I work from home but not in a job where I can get up at any time, so I have been leaving him in my room while working. I trained him to use the pad at a certain spot for about 3-4 weeks. He uses that spot just about overtime now (the only time that is different is while he is eating. For some reason while eating he will stop half way through, pee where he is standing, and then continue. Besides this he will walk a long ways to make it to the pad) . I then decided to start training him outside. I take him first thing in the morning, after breakfast, after lunch, after dinner, and before bed. He now only goes poop outside but he will still pee in my room, so I am trying to train him to not pee in the house. I read some guides online that were saying to basically remove his pad while you are there and only have the pad down for while you aren't home. I have tried this and he has no issues with peeing in the same spot his pad was in. If I move the pad somewhere else, he still pees where the pad was. Looks like the pad makes 0 difference to him, it's all about the spot. Any ideas on how to stop him from that. He can hold his pee for a long time, for example when I crate him for bed or when I go out, he has been in the crate for 6 hours while I slept without peeing but when he is out of his crate he will pee every 5-10 minutes. He has a vet appointment on Sunday and I will ask them about possible UTI, I was told puppies can get it easily and if he goes pee often, the stream goes down instead of forward and he squats instead of lifts his leg it might be the case, idk... Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from you shortly.

Hi I would get rid of the pads completely, by using pads you are teaching him that it's ok for him to pee inside. Just take him out and show him where he needs to go on a regular basis and reward him when he goes outside

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Both of mine I've had since 8 weeks old and I had pads for 2 week only, When they were very young I'd take them outside to pee twice in every hour, during the night also, sometimes they'd pee sometimes not. When they started to sleep in the kitchen at night I'd put the pad by the black door and I'd take them out before bed, I'd get up during the night to let them out and early morning. Cai was trained in 10 days and Luka took 2 weeks, they never pee in the house and if they need to go during the night they let me know.
You might have to start from scratch, try taking him outside once in every hour, he may pee he may not, when he does overly praise him and give him a small treat, it worked for mine.

Ok I can think of only two things off the top of my head.

1: is like Nix said above me, start by thoroughly cleaning the area with a urine removing solution and then move the pad over time gradually towards the position you want him to be (outside). You may hit a snag initially when moving the pad from near the door to outside it but over time they'll pick it up. A used pad outside may help to get the scent outside too and give them a clue what it is you want them to do out there.

2: like Rachael said, start right back to puppy training basics. Thoroughly clean the area he's weeing on and remove the pad (again placing a used pad outside might help). Take out every half hour or so initially, particularly after drinking, eating, sleeping and exercise. Stay out there with them and praise like mad when they've been to the toilet. Basically start right from scratch because essentially you are retraining a different set of expectations.

Archived