Potty Train?

jnape33

Hey guys! So my 4 month old puppy is fully trained to pee or pop on his training pad. He would sometimes miss by a little bit but at least he knows where to pee or poop. Just wondering how I can train him to scratch the door or give me some sort of warning that he has to either pee or poop so I can take him outside. Because I obviously don't want him to grow up pooping inside the house. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Hi by using training pads, you are teaching him that he can pee or poop inside. I've heard of people using a bell tied to the door handle so they can ring the bell when they want to go out

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

The way I know to teach him to go outside to wee or poo is to remove the pad from indoors and start taking him outside. It would probably help initially to place the pad outside too, particularly if it's got a wee scent on it.
Take him out regularly and particularly after eating, drinking, sleeping, bursts of high energy etc... stay out there with him and if he starts going to the toilet out there then immediately praise him enthusiastically.

He basically needs to make the connection between needing the toilet and going outside. The problem with pads is that you end up having to teach two different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-housetraining-bell.html
A great and fun way to house train your dog is to train her to communicate to you when she needs to go out to potty is by teaching her to ring a bell. This is best taught after your dog seems to prefer to go outside to potty and you would like to give her a good way to communicate that to you. This works especially well for dogs who only have only a few accidents or have accidents by the door. Teaching your dog to ring a bell prevents her from needing to resort to such "uncivilized" behavior as scratching on the door or barking to tell you to let her out.

Here's how to train your dog to ring a bell to go outside to potty:

Intro to the bell: Show your dog the bell. If she touches it with her nose, give her a treat. Once she is touching her nose to the bell every time you show it to her, go on to the next step. Put the bell away when you are not practicing with it.

Ringing the bell: Show her the bell and only feed her a treat when she rings the bell by touching it. Once she is ringing it every time you show it to her, go on to the next step. Put the bell away when you are not practicing with it.

Ringing the bell by the door: Hang the bell by the door that you want your dog to use to go out and show her the bell. Give her a treat when she rings it. Once she is ringing the bell by the door each time you point to it, go on to the next step. Put the bell away when you are not practicing with it.

Ringing the bell by the door to go out for a treat: Put your bell by the door. Let her watch you as you place a treat outside the door. Close the door and then point to the bell. When she rings the bell, open the door and let her get the treat. Once she rings the bell right away when you place a treat outside go on to the next step. Leave the bell in place by the door.

Real life!: Next time you think she has to potty, go with her to the door and point to the bell. When she rings it, open the door and let her potty. Reward her with a treat when she finishes. Each time you let her out to potty, ask her to ring the bell first and feed her a treat when she finishes.

Maintenance phase: Leave the bell on the door and when she rings it let her out to potty. If she starts to play or dawdle outside, bring her in. This will prevent her from ringing the bell when she sees a squirrel (or at least prevent her from learning that she can get you to let her out to play instead of just to potty)

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Hey guys! So my 4 month old puppy is fully trained to pee or pop on his training pad. He would sometimes miss by a little bit but at least he knows where to pee or poop. Just wondering how I can train him to scratch the door or give me some sort of warning that he has to either pee or poop so I can take him outside. Because I obviously don't want him to grow up pooping inside the house. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I did use training pads in the beginning and heard the same issues. I would watch for shiloh giving me signs that he needed to go potty ( or as it seamed) I opened the door and he eventually got away from the pads. He now wakes me up in the morning by a small ( I got to go sound) and I've played asleep to see what he would do to make sure I was right. He would sit there staring at me the I opened my eyes and he would lick my face then head to the door. He has been doing the same ever since. I do notice he will get up in the afternoon and early evenings pace to the area the pads were located on the floor then go to the door and give me his signature sound and circle. I can probably say he trained me once again. A lot of dedication and loss of sleep and now we are on a roll. He did pee in the back of my SUV a couple times now he holds it until we get home. I'd consider myself lucky but these dogs are so smart.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Archived